Yet another spam can thread...

Only one way to find out for sure.

I'd think since they are air tight, that if there was no corrosion on the can or punctures, it should last indefinitely.

EDIT; Stupid tiny netbook keyboard.

Edited by Mullet Man

Well, I've fired hundreds of Bulgarian 7.62x54R rounds made in the early 50's over the last decade with no problems. They were in a spam can, but were NOT laquered or sealed like the 5.45 rounds are. I'd be willing to bet the 5.45 surplus will be good for AT LEAST another 50 years and probably longer.

I've had ammo from the late 1800s given to me that fired just fine. As long as it's stored properly it'll last longer than you will.

I wish I'd have sold it to a collector now. It was original balloon head 45-70 ammo.

I've also fired original WWI and WWII ammo, from various nations, most of it worked just fine.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, update to my update... I recently took my old british enfield .303 to the range with some south african 1960's era production surplus ammo. The ammo is corroded enough that the brass cases on them are slightly green in color. ALL FIRED! So that is 51 year old ammo that went bang on all 30 rounds! Giddy up...

• 2 months later...