16" 308 Range Report #2

Went to the range yesterday since it was around 72 degrees. Winds were light and variable. I tried 3 more brands of ammo in my 16" Saiga 308. Rifle has been converted with a G2 FCG. Used front and rear bag shooting rests for all targets. All shots taken from 100 yards. I have a Tasco 2.5-10X Mil-Dot Varmint Scope mounted on a UTG Leapers quick detach side scope mount. And yes it does hold zero when you detach and re-attach the scope for cleaning.

Shot several rounds of Brown Bear through the barrel just to warm it up some.

Three rounds of target shooting of 5 rounds each. 1 shot approximately every 10 seconds. Between rounds I would walk down and replace the target. Targets were shot in this order:

1. Patrone 150 gr FMJ headstamp MEN92J0001, German

2. Tulammo 150 gr FMJ Black Box headstamp Tulammo 308 WIN, Lot J-104-10

3. Brown Bear 145 gr FMJ

My 16" Saiga seems to prefer the TulAmmo. I just placed an order for more....:super:

post-27466-0-16015800-1298905045_thumb.jpg

post-27466-0-80512500-1298905065_thumb.jpg

post-27466-0-28878900-1298905084_thumb.jpg

Edited by jacksmad1

Notice is says MEN92J0001. MEN is the maker, 92 is the year, J0001 is month/time or batch lot.

MEN stands for Metallwerk Elisenhütte G.m.b.H (from what I can find in ten seconds on google)

DAG stands for Dynamit Noble (again only a quick google search)

Its German made Nato spec 7.62x51mm ammo.

Patrone is cartridge or shell. But with how its written on the boxes I can totally see everyone assuming that it's a maker name.

Figured you may find it interesting. :smoke:

Good write-up! Tula does pretty well for me too.

I think "Patrone" is German for "Cartridge". Was it surplus German stuff?

Yes it was the German surplus in the 200 round battle packs from Aim Surplus. Had no idea what Patrone meant.....I have enough trouble with english....

Notice is says MEN92J0001. MEN is the maker, 92 is the year, J0001 is month/time or batch lot.

MEN stands for Metallwerk Elisenhütte G.m.b.H (from what I can find in ten seconds on google)

DAG stands for Dynamit Noble (again only a quick google search)

Its German made Nato spec 7.62x51mm ammo.

Patrone is cartridge or shell. But with how its written on the boxes I can totally see everyone assuming that it's a maker name.

Figured you may find it interesting. :smoke:

Thanks for all the info....yeah with PATRONE in big bold letters I just assumed and you know what that generally means.......