To convert or not convert.

I can't make up my mind.

Can you guys tell me the pros and cons about converting?

Also, what would be the price to do this myself, for pretty good parts.

And on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it?

Does anyone have pictures of a S308 with a 22" barrel with a wood foregrip, pistol grip, and stock?

it's a 1.. seriously.

And converting it shortens it and gives you a much nicer trigger.. Plus if you don't convert it people are going to look at you funny since your going to be that guy who was too scared to give it a try when it's really easy.

You almost definately won't mess it up and you'll feel better about yourself if you convert it.

The ak was designed to be easy to build and easy to disassemble for illiterate conscripts.. You can do it. Just get a drill and a good drill bit.. The hardest part is having a drill bit that will cut through the metal (although on my first try I was impatient and just snapped 10 crappy drillbits because the store was closed. I still did it right)

edit: for the gun you want to see, check the picture thread. I'd be almost certain one was there that is going to be close to exactly what you have in mind.

Edited by volkov

The pro's and cons are not serious enough for wood/synthetic that I'd say they outweigh your personal cosmetic preference. Go with what you think looks good. If you do get a typical synthetic lower get a heat shield.

Edited by volkov

I'd say a 5-6 only because of the 2 spot welds on the 'clinton plate' underneath.. it has only 2 rivets vs. the 3 normal ones on the other rifle Saigas.. but for me the spot-welds were a PITA.. the plus side is there are NO HOLES left OPEN on the sides of a 308 after conversion.. no factory 'rimmed' pins to take the rolled-edge off of.. :super: make sure you have a dremel type tool (corded 110v type).. and some good reinforced cut-off wheels and some grinder bits...

The 308 Saiga was my 3rd conversion.. 1st was 762x39, then the 545x39, and then the 308.. :super:

The 762x39 took me 1 1/2 hours.. the 545x39 took me 45 minutes.. the 308 about 1 1/4 hours.. mostly on the 2 SPOT-WELDS...

Remove the guts is as easy as pulling the WIRE retainer.. and then sldiing the GRAY STEEL pins out with your fingers..

Then remove the bottom plate.. then pop the new FCG in.. then reassemble.. put the new PG and STOCK on..

Look at the tutorial videos and such.... some show WAY too much info and may get you woozy.. just take your time..

Al

oh yeah, it's been a while. Forgot about the spot welds.. Ditto on the dremel and a good cutting wheel. Still really easy.

Also the part that many people thinks looks complicated is reinstalling the FCG... and it does LOOK complicated, but once you have the parts in your hand it all goes together pretty naturally.

Edited by volkov

FCG is the fire control group- the guts of the gun (didn't see any other acronyms). It includes the trigger, hammer, disconector that kind of thing. If you've done any work on cars this is gonna be a walk in the park.

Oh ok, only thing I havnt done to much of on cars is welding. But it's worth a shot right?

Any recommendations on parts to use? I think I'm going synthetic unless I can find a wood stock with a pistol grip type grip. Kind of like a dragonov. But for the internals?

Edited by Nick308White

Oh ok, only thing I havnt done to much of on cars is welding. But it's worth a shot right?

Any recommendations on parts to use? I think I'm going synthetic unless I can find a wood stock with a pistol grip type grip. Kind of like a dragonov. But for the internals?

there are plenty of stickies around.. but basically a fire control group, a retaining plate, a pistol grip nut.. Plus the furniture your going to use. Make sure your gun is 922r compliant (also stickied. Also there a lot of compliance calculators around). Since most .308 mags are US made it's one of the easier ones to be compliant with due to the mag countin as three parts. Trigger guard is resuable but you can buy one if you like. If your going for a dragonov look your going to need a new upper gas tube as well for upper handguards.

edit: if your in california I'm not sure on the rules at all.. Make sure you stick to the law

Edited by volkov

Not sure if thumb hole stocks count as pistol grips in your state but if they do not it might be a good alternative to avoid a feature count. You should definitely convert it though, I have a few unconverted Saigas but the stock .308 trigger is exceptionally bad. I recommend Dinzag arms custom G2 trigger for your FCG.