surefire mag problem for noob

OK, so I just went and picked up my new Saiga 7.62. I brought it home and tried to use my Surefire brand 30rd mag and the slide (action) will not close with the surefire mag. It will close with the stock mag though. When I asked the place where I purchased the mag if it would work with an unconverted Saiga, they said it would. I'm a little lost :(

OK, so I just went and picked up my new Saiga 7.62. I brought it home and tried to use my Surefire brand 30rd mag and the slide (action) will not close with the surefire mag. It will close with the stock mag though. When I asked the place where I purchased the mag if it would work with an unconverted Saiga, they said it would. I'm a little lost :(

Surefire mags have a last round hold open feature.

If the mag is empty, the bolt is held open.

Load the mag and see if it cycles correctly.

Surefire mags have a last round hold open feature.

If the mag is empty, the bolt is held open.

Load the mag and see if it cycles correctly.

My bold does not want to close with a round chambered either. I wonder if the bolt/fire pin assembly is not seated correctly?

It cycled properly with a round in the mag. It will not close all of the way with a round in the chamber, huh?

The round I attempted to chamber is scratched all to piss now! I'm not sure what is preventing it from closing all of the way?

Edited by gerlon2fingers

It cycled properly with a round in the mag. It will not close all of the way with a round in the chamber, huh?

The round I attempted to chamber is scratched all to piss now! I'm not sure what is preventing it from closing all of the way?

Did you pull the bolt back and let it go. Or did you try to close the bolt slowly?

Did you pull the bolt back and let it go. Or did you try to close the bolt slowly?

slowly, I was told not to let it slam because it may cause the round to fire! Just what a few guys were saying on youtube!

slowly, I was told not to let it slam because it may cause the round to fire! Just what a few guys were saying on youtube!

Let the thing fly. Just make sure that the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

• Like 1

So I'm guessing that what the problem is that I'm letting it close too slowley, seem like an easy fix I guess :)

Let the thing fly. Just make sure that the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

Rule number 1: dont liten to people on youtube. :lolol:

Dont be easy with it, pull the bolt back and let it go when loading. If you baby it, it will act up. Slowly sliding the slide forward will cause it to stick, as its not designed to be treated so.

Scracted cases are normal from some magazines. Load a few in the mag and cycle it letting the bolt fly. Im betting it cycles fine this time.

• Like 1

And you believe guys on youtube? Think about it a minute, it is a semi auto rifle, gas operated it normally slams the bolt home when operating. If it fires when charging the weapon then there is something wrong with the weapon.

Cool ,thanks guys. All the rifles I have ever owned are bolt action. Not used to this bad boy yet, thanks again!!

Edited by gerlon2fingers

On any AK without a firing pin spring, the inertia of the bolt's forward motion carries the firing pin through the bolt face when the bolt abruptly stops as the round is chambered. This often causes a light dent in the primer, but very rarely ignites the round, as the firing pin is only hitting the primer with a fraction of the strength imparted by the hammer when the weapon is purposefully discharged. Chambering the same cartridge repeatedly increases the chances of an accidental discharge when the round is chambered. I've only seen this condition happen once, with a Maadi. Every time a round was chambered it dented the shit out of the primer - after the same cartridge was chambered four or five times it went off spontaneously.

I do not own any Saiga rifles, but I would be very surprised if they do not utilize a firing pin spring. The spring makes what is already an unlikely event a negligible risk. Rack away and let 'er fly.

Shandlanos, the Saiga 7.62x39 has no firing pin spring.

Interesting, and surprising. Then the old wisdom holds. Once a round has been chambered once, I'd chuck it, or, if you reload, throw it in the to-be-disassembled-for-components pile.