I saw a Century R1A1 at the gunstore today. From what I've gathered on the web, Century FAL clones don't have the highest reputation.

Anybody here had any firsthand experiences (good or bad) with them? What are the common problems people have with them?

Also, are they inch or metric? Seems like there just aren't many accessories available for the inch pattern rifles.

I've got a Century G3 that I'm very satisfied with considering the price, and I'm wondering if I'd be pressing my luck going for the R1A1.

I saw a Century R1A1 at the gunstore today. From what I've gathered on the web, Century FAL clones don't have the highest reputation.

Anybody here had any firsthand experiences (good or bad) with them? What are the common problems people have with them?

Also, are they inch or metric? Seems like there just aren't many accessories available for the inch pattern rifles.

I've got a Century G3 that I'm very satisfied with considering the price, and I'm wondering if I'd be pressing my luck going for the R1A1.

I have had one since the mid-90's. they work great, feed reliably, are simple to work on, cheap, and sturdy. fun to shoot.

the cons, are the trigger pull is pretty stiff, and they are Inch pattern. they are also not that accurate, I could get 4" at 100yds with 5 round groups, but not much better..but hell, the human head is around double that width, so it serves it's purpose..it will hit center mass reliably every time, all day long in any conditions at 100yds.

they are alos relatively cheap, and a good platform for eventual upgrades. If you have the cash, pick one up. Just dont expect Springfield M1A performance out of her, and you'll be fine.

I have a century L1A1 on a Imbel receiver. Typical CAI trained monkey workmanship, Barrel slightly indexed wrong so windage ajustment ran out when trying to zero. I fixed that by modifying the rear sight to avoid tearing it all down. But it has ran like a clock since I got it, once I figured out the gas adjustment. And its fairly accurate, I get honest 2- 2 1/2" groups with decent surplus, I had it down to a around 1 1/4" @100yd with winchester silver tip once when I splurged on it.

Some R1A1s have brand new barrels, Mine was a surplus one I'm pretty sure since I had the thumbhole stock on it. Like mentioned they tend to have a heavy longish trigger pull.

They are usually niether all inch or metric, but the majority of parts will be inch on the upper, some of them have Metric lowers and as far I know all Century rifles have used metric mags regardless. Most of the latest R1A1s have a lot of metric parts used on them, basically the only furniture that cant be made to work back and forth between each pattern is the grip.