(S-12) I kept mine on and shot 200 plus rounds in 10-15 min or less and no the hand guard didn't get that hot? I did later add a vertical grip but it had nothing to do with hand guard heating up? now the barrel and gas tube get very warm but as one would expect.

For those who keep the original handguard on their Saiga: does it ever get too hot to handle if you shoot a lot of rounds?

The stock Saiga HG's are pretty tough. One of my buddies had his on his Saiga at the time he took the Fighting Rifle course. Theres one range drill where we did 3-4 mag dumps within 5min. The HG was fine.

Honestly, I see the stock Saiga hand guard as having more functionality than the classic hand guards we see on the military rifles. For one, you are decreasing part numbers by 2 (upper hand guard and retainer piece) which decreases more problems/weight (not much). Another +1 on the functionality of the Saiga hand guards is the larger surface area to hold/protect the front end of the rifle be it with your hand or a rest of some sort. Might not look as pretty as the HG for the original ak100's, but I feel that the Saiga HG is a tad bit superior.

Now the new ak's with the metal HG are bad azz (multiple slots for picatinny rail accessories) and I would definitely invest in one of those vs. the ak100's polymer HG.

• Like 1

The stock Saiga HG's are pretty tough. One of my buddies had his on his Saiga at the time he took the Fighting Rifle course. Theres one range drill where we did 3-4 mag dumps within 5min. The HG was fine.

Honestly, I see the stock Saiga hand guard as having more functionality than the classic hand guards we see on the military rifles. For one, you are decreasing part numbers by 2 (upper hand guard and retainer piece) which decreases more problems/weight (not much). Another +1 on the functionality of the Saiga hand guards is the larger surface area to hold/protect the front end of the rifle be it with your hand or a rest of some sort. Might not look as pretty as the HG for the original ak100's, but I feel that the Saiga HG is a tad bit superior.

Now the new ak's with the metal HG are bad azz (multiple slots for picatinny rail accessories) and I would definitely invest in one of those vs. the ak100's polymer HG.

I will probably end up ditching my original handguard, but I have noticed that my upper polymer handguard from K-Var never came with one of those retainer clips that one sees with wooden upper handguards. Do the polymer upper handguards need these things (I have a spare one lying around...just not sure if I need one or not).