I just want to throw my 2 cents worth on hitch pins and shepherds crooks. THESE ARE MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH THESE TWO OPTIONS:

Originally i installed two small hitch pins and in my 762 and also in my S12. The pins on my 762 failed! It wasnt catastrophic, but after shooting I cleaned my rifle. The hitch pin that was holding my trigger in was in place, but not locked in. I immediately went online and ordered 2 shepherds crooks.

I went with the shepherds crook because they were cheaper and are essentially 100% reliable. I had one hell of a time installing these shepherds crooks. It isnt the easiest to manipulate as there isnt much material to grab onto. Once i got it aligned i slid the crook forward pushing down on the front, to go under the hammer pin, and it got VERY HARD for me to lock the crook in place. I was able to get one installed on my S12 and it is SOLID, but i deformed the other one and busted my knuckles with the tools i was using to slide the piece forward.

One other thing I was uncomfortable with was the difficulty removing the crook once its installed.

My Buddy bought a tapco plate retainer and the holes wernt lined up very well. I have placed an order for the krebs style retainers and will gladly throw opinions on these once i get them in!

Madcow

I have two retainer plates in my rifles. I'm not sure who manufactured them as they came in unmarked bags, but I'm thinking probably Tapco. Either way they have been 100 percent reliable and infinitely easier than the wire retainers.

• 1 month later...