Barrel Interchange

I don't know of a way to press a barrel out of it's trunnion without removing the trunnion from the receiver first...

So technically yes, if you want to cut the barrel trunnion rivets, press out the barrel, re-rivet the trunnion, press in the new barrel... wait a min. NVM I'm just going to say "No you can't." :)

Just buy a 5.45 and a 5.56 AK.

no you cant just swap them out not like you are thinking you would have to press the barrel pin out then press the barrel out with out damaging the trunion or receiver then if the new barrel does not come with a gas block you would have to use the old one if it fits of course then attempt to press the new one into the trunion with out damaging any thing then would probly have to headspace it and hope that there is no difference from the bolt or trunion for it to work properly your looking at mabie a few hours of work if there is no problem. so just save yourself some time and money and just get both

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have pressed barrels out without taking the trunnion out of the receiver. It just depends on what jigs you are using to do it.

Im with this guy, the only way i do my builds is with the front trunnion in the receiver already and pressing the barrel either in or out. You just need the right tools.

Pressing a bbl out is a little harder then pressing it in. Depending on what kind of tooling you have you may be able to jig something up that will allow you to press the bbl strait out.

It's kind of a pita if the rear trunion is intact but it can be done with some ingenuity.. I use a 20ton shop press, long brass rod and a tow strap to hold the rod against the receiver, otherwise it can become a projectile since the pressure isn't strait down onto the bbl. It's kind of rigged, but I've done many bbls this way

• 2 weeks later...