Hey guys. I'm new to the site and I wanted to introduce myself. i am actually in the process of buying a Saiga rifle and wanted to get some feedback. I've been calling around, and i received a quote for a Saiga 7.62 for $360. is that what the going rate is for them? Another thing is why did you guys choose the 7.62 over the .223/5.56? I plan on using my rifle for target practice, and the occasional hog hunt. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

That sounds like a good price under current economic conditions. The 7.62 is the original AK round and the hardcore loyal converts would likely prefer this caliber. As an AK fanatic I'd think the 5.45 would come next in preference as the ammo is still relatively inexpensive compared to the .223 that I consider a US variation on nearly the same.

Welcome. That price sounds about right for what I've been seeing anymore. The 7.62 is usually the cheaper of the three intermediate rifle calibers. Last time I paid attention at a gun show there was a 5.45 for $389. As far as your other question. I didn't choose 7.62 for the Saiga. I have a WASR in 7.62, it's a cheap beater but works every time. My Saiga is in 5.45 because I already had a 7.62 and wanted a 5.45. I really have no room for a 5.56 AK though. For hog hunting I would say the 7.62 is the choice to make. Are you planning on converting it?

Between the three calibers though I love 5.45 more than either 5.56 or 7.62, it's just a sweet little round, and pretty wicked.

Be warned, the sporter configuration has what can only be described as "the worst trigger pull imaginable." Also with no US made stock, you will be more limited on foreign parts if you use high capacity magazines in it.

So would you guys be for changing the trigger assembly? An addition I was also thinking about was getting the quad rail. If I were to get a new trigger assembly, quad rail, and a hi cap magazine, I'd have 7 922r compliant accessories? I really like the M1A Socom look, so that means I wouldn't change the stock on it. Thanks again!

So would you guys be for changing the trigger assembly? An addition I was also thinking about was getting the quad rail. If I were to get a new trigger assembly, quad rail, and a hi cap magazine, I'd have 7 922r compliant accessories? I really like the M1A Socom look, so that means I wouldn't change the stock on it. Thanks again!

922r isn't about how many US made parts you have, it is about having no more than 10 Foreign made parts.

The countable parts on an Saiga are:

Receiver

Barrel

Front Trunnion

Bolt

Bolt Carrier

Gas Piston

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnector

Stock

Handguard

Magazine Body

Follower

Floorplate

As soon as you put in a high capacity magazine, you will have to get that list down to 10 foreign parts to be legal.

With just a US made magazine, and the US made handguard, you will still have 11 Foreign parts. The easiest thing you could do from there would probably be to get a US made fire control group. You won't be able to use the trigger as they are designed for an AK, not a sporter Saiga, but you could use the hammer and disconnector from it, and that would bring you to 9 foreign parts, which is under the 10 allowable parts. Or you could find a US made stock for the factory configuration instead, and that would put you in compliance. Clear as mud right?

Edited by L5K

922r isn't about how many US made parts you have, it is about having no more than 10 Foreign made parts.

The countable parts on an Saiga are:

Receiver

Barrel

Front Trunnion

Bolt

Bolt Carrier

Gas Piston

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnector

Stock

Handguard

Magazine Body

Follower

Floorplate

As soon as you put in a high capacity magazine, you will have to get that list down to 10 foreign parts to be legal.

With just a US made magazine, and the US made handguard, you will still have 11 Foreign parts. The easiest thing you could do from there would probably be to get a US made fire control group. You won't be able to use the trigger as they are designed for an AK, not a sporter Saiga, but you could use the hammer and disconnector from it, and that would bring you to 9 foreign parts, which is under the 10 allowable parts. Or you could find a US made stock for the factory configuration instead, and that would put you in compliance. Clear as mud right?

With a USA mag and hand guard he will have 10 foreign parts. 922. A complete US mag is three parts, hand guard is one = 10 foreign parts.

No, Dubmech, like the man said, it's not about the US parts, it's about the number of foreign parts left in the rifle after the surgery.

Saigas come imported with 14 parts.including mags and hand guard.

The mag counts as three.

Hand guard is one.

Replace the mag and hand guard and that leaves you with ten foreign parts.

922 legal.

Please don't feed the Trolls. :killer:

Edited by Jetmech