Improving Saiga 7.62x39 without conversion

I did the complete conversion on a 7.62x39 a while back and couldn't be happier.

Recently, somehow another Saiga followed me home. I'm considering keeping this one in it's factory configuration.

I'm interested in improving on the rifle without converting it. I saw a Tapco FCG ($60) to replace the factory parts.

I couldn't find any reviews for this set up. I'm very happy with the Tapco G2 on the converted rifle so I'm guessing this FCG should be pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with it? And are there any other worthwhile improvements to make on the stock rifle?

What is the Tapco FCG anyways?

It's the fire control group that TAPCO makes.

I have used the conversion kits from CSS and made mine look more like the traditional version with wood. You could go with a wood stock and fore end. In keeping it stock, you'll be stuck with the factory 10 round mags. If you do decide to convert it you'll need a bullet guide as well as the FCG.

AK_Finish.jpg

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 1

I'm interested in improving on the rifle without converting it. I saw a Tapco FCG ($60) to replace the factory parts.

If you are going to use the Tapco G2; you will need to be 922R compliant. You will also need 2 axis pins http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-184/TRIGGER-PARTS-dsh--AXIS-PIN/Detail

You may also need to enlarge the factory FCG hole

How will the G2 trigger group match up with the factory linkage?

Aren't these axis pins larger than the rivet pins that are removed?

The Tapco FCG I saw advertised for sale is specifically for replacing the factory group. It's not the G2 group for using when doing the conversion and moving the FCG forward to accomodate the pistol grip. It claims to improve function while leaving the rifle in the sporting configuration. That's exactly what I'm looking to do, but I can't find any reviews on wether it's worth installing. It's $60 versus the $29 the AK Tapco G2 FCG's go for.

You'd honestly be better off saving your money and buying the parts for the conversion. I have a feeling you'll waste $60 only to find that it performs no better. If that Tapco FCG got rid of that nasty linkage (which I have no idea how the hell it would do that) than maybe you'd be better off. But it's the extra linkage that's the problem. I may be wrong, so do be sure to let us now how it turns out.

I have a feeling you'll waste $60 only to find that it performs no better.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Which would also explain why I can't find any reviews by any end users of the product.

Of course, there's not much of a description listed for the product. It appears to just be a replacement US-made Tapco hammer and sear, no trigger. So I guess the original linkage will remain.

I might as well install the bullet guide instead of spending the cash on Saiga magazines. But I may just keep the factory FCG since I want a non-pistol grip rifle (have enough rifles with pistol grips already).

Thanks for the replies and I will report back if I roll the dice on the $60 Tapco FCG.

How is the trigger pull? My saigas pull is just fine. Yea its long but theres a definate 'take up' when its pulled a1/2". I used some 400,600,1000grit sandpaper on my contact spots in the FCG ( that I could reach with out taking it apart) and it smoothed it up really well. It seems that the disconnect pushing on the hammer was where mine needed it the most. I shined it up and I could feel a difference. The linkage does not make it impossibe to pull like a normal rifle trigger but it can be improved. If trigger pull is your main concern i guess you have to convert.

Theres a few things you can do for a pistol grip. I have a T6 stock on mine and I really like it. The T6 runs like $60. Ace makes a stock/pistol grip combo for the unconverted saiga , its $200. Sgm makes one as well for $135, and magpuls is $227. Im cheap, thats why I have the T6, but Im sure the other ones are even better than mine, and mine works great.

Theres a ton of forearms out there too, so if you dont want to convert it you can still have a great rifle that does anything you need it to. Im going to convert mine soon, but It has nothing to do with me not liking the factory config. I just want to see what its all about. I think the balance of the converted saiga would be a little better though, mine is a bit front heavy, to be expected with a hunk of steel..

Edited by Boomsick42

Improving the trigger is really not my main concern. The factory trigger is not great but it will do. The G2 triggers I've installed on conversions are much nicer.

My main concern is the reliability of the factory trigger with linkage and bolt hold open. It may be perfectly sound but figured it probably wouldn't hurt to replace with an aftermarket setup. My thought is if it works only as well as the factory FCG, that's fine plus I now have the original as a spare. If it works and improves the trigger pull, even better. Worst case is it turns out to be garbage, I'm out $60, and I reinstall the original. I'm guessing in this particular case that since I've found zero feedback on this product, I'd be out $60 and the time it takes to reinstall everything.

If I do decide to give it a try, I'll post the results. Thanks.

I think you still have to have the full 922r parts count if you replace any of the factory original parts.

I don't think it is worthwhile or cost effective (let alone legal without the minimum U.S. parts count) to modify a Saiga without doing a pistol grip conversion. The trigger will run you $30 and then you can pick up a U.S. stock and pistol grip for another $45 and you are only $15 over what just the trigger would run if you reuse your trigger guard. It takes less than an hour to do it and if you spring for the bullet guide ($20), you can buy $10 magazines all day.

Check out Carolina Shooter's supply for conversion kit parts (TAPCO stock and pistol grip are your cheaper bets) and watch the conversion video on their site - you'll be much happier.

I think you still have to have the full 922r parts count if you replace any of the factory original parts.

I don't think it is worthwhile or cost effective (let alone legal without the minimum U.S. parts count) to modify a Saiga without doing a pistol grip conversion. The trigger will run you $30 and then you can pick up a U.S. stock and pistol grip for another $45 and you are only $15 over what just the trigger would run if you reuse your trigger guard. It takes less than an hour to do it and if you spring for the bullet guide ($20), you can buy $10 magazines all day.

Check out Carolina Shooter's supply for conversion kit parts (TAPCO stock and pistol grip are your cheaper bets) and watch the conversion video on their site - you'll be much happier.

922r only applies if you're creating a configuration that would otherwise be illegal to import if it was all foreign made. Replacing a trigger with a US made one does not put the rifle into a configuration that would be illegal to import. So adding the trigger group would not necessitate being 922r compliant because it doesn't fall under that statute.

But you're right, adding a pistol grip or adding a bullet guide would necessitate being 922r compliant.