MSA ADAPTERS and early EAA Saigas

I do not know why MSA has not posted anything about this so I will cause I found out the hard way.Now my gun with the adapter in it jams has some mag.slop my next step is a bullet guide.I should have just bought 4 stock mags instead i guess.

If you have an EAA saiga 223 the mmilling specs are not the same. I went to there specs and the adapter would not work in my gun, I had to go deeper. Also in one set of photos with the adapter it says go flush with rails do not do this with the EAA it will be way to far.

If any of you guys with regular Saigas read this let me know if on your gun when the stock magazine is loaded into your gun do the top of the magazine side rails touch the bottom of the guns side rails?? (carrier/bolt rails) Also if you have a regular saiga with an adapter in it do the AR magazine top rails touch the guns side rails (carrier/bolt rails) or do you have a space in between them??

Why we/I hadn't posted is I have yet to see a photo to confirm any suspicions. Per our last telephone conversation I believe you were suppose to be sending. I've yet to see a/any photo to say definitively what is happening.

I do not know why MSA has not posted anything about this so I will cause I found out the hard way.Now my gun with the adapter in it jams has some mag.slop my next step is a bullet guide.I should have just bought 4 stock mags instead i guess.

If you have an EAA saiga 223 the mmilling specs are not the same. I went to there specs and the adapter would not work in my gun, I had to go deeper. Also in one set of photos with the adapter it says go flush with rails do not do this with the EAA it will be way to far.

If any of you guys with regular Saigas read this let me know if on your gun when the stock magazine is loaded into your gun do the top of the magazine side rails touch the bottom of the guns side rails?? (carrier/bolt rails) Also if you have a regular saiga with an adapter in it do the AR magazine top rails touch the guns side rails (carrier/bolt rails) or do you have a space in between them??

I know Nathan answers all concerned customers' questions, and I have heard nothing about this situation myself. If I had, I could have helped easily....at least with accurate information regarding installing the adapter in an EAA Saiga. Most all mine are EAA and K-USA.

It doesn't matter who imported it.

Sir what you are telling people is false. Your problem has nothing at all to do with who imported the rifle, or when it was imported. There has to be some other issue.

It is when people jump to conclusions, freak out, and start threads like this, that those threads become misleading, and nothing but problems come out of it for the MFG of a product.

I'm not sure what exactly you did wrong, or what kind of measuring tool you used (are you sure it was calibrated properly?), but these are the facts about my installation of the adapter in my own EAA Saiga..with photos I just took the time to take while ago:

Mine is an EAA Saiga .223 that was made in 2004.

Depth:

I installed the adapter myself and milled (dremeled) the mag stops on the trunnion to a depth of exactly ...0881" (The written instructions that come with the adapter call for a milling depth of ".880 - .890 inches)

post-1293-0-76337400-1301348180_thumb.jpg

Actually since I was using a dremel....and doing it by eye, I went more than that on one side, to a depth of .9415".... oops. It still works fine.

Still the bottom of the rails are WELL above the mag stops on the trunnion. Those are 1.039" from the bottom of the receiver.

Width:

The distance between the rivet heads on mine (the thinnest point) is now .986". (The instructions call for a "width of .960 inches") So mine is actually too wide also...

post-1293-0-67488900-1301348203_thumb.jpg

My mags fit and work just fine. (Both my AR mags AND my AK mags...which are Bulgarian waffle mags)

I'm sorry your gun has some sort of issue with the install, but I can't see how if you followed the directions exactly, it can be such a problem (unless by some strange mishap your adapter isn't like the rest of them made on the same machine....which I'm sure can be checked and a normal one sent to you if yours is somehow out of spec...).

I was using an early plastic prototype when I installed mine, and had no written instructions. I basically was just taking a little off here and there...test fitting the mag and adapter, and taking a ttle more, til my adapter and mags would seat and lock in place....and cycle rounds from the mags.

It is really a very simple thing to install this adapter, and have great results....even with basic tools if you know what you are doing.

I talked to MSA before posting this and what i am saying is not false it is based on my gun and in my gun at there depths it would not work. The adapter would lock in but the front of the mags kept hitting in the area that was to be milled out. It was done on a lathe with the right tools and attachments and was measured with a depth guage. I was told that it seems the EAA where built with different parts so each could be different. I will take pictures and post them Its been my delay on doing that, do to my daughter having to have an operation. But when the gunsmith got to the the recommend depths he called me and said"you might want to come over and look at this before we go any deeper." So little by little we kept taking material off till it worked.I am not blaming MSA for anything i was going by what they said when i spoke with him. Being that the early ones seem to be different.There is nothing false it is my own personal expierence so if there is one gun that is different why not more.

Also the adapter fit at there specs but the mags would not thats why we went deeper to get them to lock in. I even had to file down the top of the mag lock in the adapter to get to work.

Edited by vermontmadman

Please do know that i am not "bad mouthing" your product by any means. When i wrote this i was talking about gun issues . Your adapter is well built and worth what I paid. the way my luck goes it could be one gun in a hundred thousand and i would have bought it.

Edited by vermontmadman

Here are some more photos. When the magazine is inserted into the gun with the adaptor in it, should the top of it be touching anywhere or is it just locked in and free floating at the top.I still have to clean this up some,but I need to know about the placement of the top of the magazine first so I know if I should make another step or take the first one out.

post-17729-0-96454100-1301538412_thumb.jpgpost-17729-0-29883600-1301538456_thumb.jpgpost-17729-0-28352700-1301538494_thumb.jpgpost-17729-0-97258300-1301538540_thumb.jpg

The thread that I made on my AR Adapter was on a newer model Saiga and I had no trouble what-so-ever. You're right to think that the earlier one's have a different spec. Is your gas block / fsb pinned on or dimpled on?

I just helped a buddy 'o mine do his conversion and his barrel parts were pinned on, but had no handguard retainer grooves..... It would be good to know if he ever wanted to put in an adapter.

I have to say, that is a very good looking job with the dremel.

Edited by Hexus535