Best groups ever.

I braved the snow, slop, and drizzle today to go test out some new loads. I decided to try some lighter bullets to try to minimize recoil. While the 168s I usually shoot are accurate, follow-up shots are pretty slow. I wanted a faster shooting round for closer range. I loaded up some 110 grain Remington M1 carbine bullets, and some 110 grain vmax. I fired 4-shot groups at 100 yards, waiting about 30 seconds between shots.

110 grain M1 carbine, Federal brass, CCI BR primers, 2.446 COAL.

The M1 carbine bullets didn't group that well. They have a diameter of .3065 instead of .308. Additionally, I think the soft point nose got a little screwed up loading in my 308. However, they loaded and cycled fine despite their short OAL and light charge.

39.4 grains Varget - about 6 moa.

40.4 grains Varget - about 4 moa.

4.14 grains Varget - about 3.5 moa. However, I adjusted my scope in the middle of this group. This resulted in 2 bullets about an inch away from each other, and then 2 more bullets also about an inch away from each other, parallel to the others.

110 grain vmax, Federal brass, CCI BR primers, 2.73 COAL.

These also loaded and cycled fine. The polymer tip didn't get deformed by the action. They grouped much better.

39.4 grains Varget - about 3.5 moa.

40.4 grains Varget - 1.075" (the second best group I've ever shot).

4.14 grains Varget - 0.871" (the best group I've ever shot, and the only sub-moa).

I'm sure plenty people still will doubt me, but I don't really value their opinions about my shooting with my rifle. With good loads, I can get 4 shot groups between 1 and 2 inches fairly consistently (with most around 1.25 - 1.5").

Here are the last 2 targets:

308grous001-3.jpg

That's interesting. I don't know the burn rates of Varget and 4895, but my best five and ten shot groups came with 42.0gr 4895. Seems to be a sweet spot right around that charge wt with some powders. Like yours, mine also likes lighter bullets. As soon as it's back from the smith (two more inches off the barrel and PW brake installed) I'll be testing Sierra 135gr Match Kings. Seems the lighter I go the better it shoots.

Edited by Snakum

Mine likes 168 SMKs and Varget a lot as well (42 - 43.5 grains). Just not as well as these, I guess. I also had some good groups with 150 Hornady SST's and TAC, but I couldn't get much consistency from group to group. One day it'd shoot a 1.1" group, then the next I couldn't break 3". I gave up when I ran out.

Varget is the fastest powder I had on hand. I think it's slower than 4895, but faster than 4064. However, I'm not trying to drive these things warp speed. I'd rather the bullet penetrate a little bit, rather than just exploding. I'm actually trying to see how slow I can get them and still cycle the rifle while retaining some accuracy.

I noticed the 110gr Hornady TAP ammo works well in my 308 Saiga.. maybe lighter is better???

Best group I got so far was the 1 1/4" (4 shot) group.

The 150gr SST's were good but not as tight consistently (like you said)..

I may have to give this another run up the pole when the weather breaks..

Albert

• 5 months later...

Not the best groups ever, but decent and possibly informative for anyone who wants to develop their own loads for this rifle.

I may play around some more with the 125 NBT. It should be a very flat-shooting round for a 308 and supposedly has a thicker jacket than the 110 VMAX, which should provide greater penetration. Nosler rates the bullet as sufficient for hunting deer and antelope.

The 165 GameKing hollowpoint shoots almost as well as the 168 MatchKing in my rifle. Still, I'm liking the lighter bullets for the flatter trajectory and lower recoil.

Don't copy my loads. While they were safe in my rifle, your rifle is a death trap and will kill you. Start low and work up.

125 Nosler ballistic tip with a warmish charge of Varget, CCI BR2 primers, loaded to 2.735. 1.4"

308grous007-1.jpg

Same as above with a slightly lower powder charge. 1.6"

308grous008-1.jpg

Same as above, with lower powder charge. 1.7"

308grous009.jpg

Previously listed 110 VMAX load. 4 rounds. This was almost certainly a fluke, but a neat fluke regardless. 1.4"

308grous002-4.jpg

165 GameKing with a stout load of Varget and CCI BR2 primers. This load is over Sierra's listed max load by half a grain, but I also seated the bullet longer than the manual calls for (loaded to 2.8ish"). It's under Hornady's max load by half a grain. 1.3"

308grous001-4.jpg

Don't copy my loads. While they were safe in my rifle, your rifle is a death trap and will kill you. Start low and work up.

Edited by Dudethebagman