GAS PORT CLEANING

Way back, the gas ports entered the barrel at about a 45 degree angle and it was relatively easy to clean out any accumulated residue from firing. The gas port on all current pieces enters the barrel at a 90 degree angle and I have yet to find anything that might be used to get in that verticle hole. Any ideas from anyone ?

Asked the same question on a Arsenal site. Had a lot of viewers but no pearls of wisdom in response. Thanks.

:smoke: Hi,well,on my AK's I have used some carb cleaner and sprayed it in the port and let it run out the muzzle,then blew air or turned the can upside down to spray dry it.I have even dipped a pipe cleaner-made out of stuff that is not eaten by the gas- and managed to get it in there and scrub it.Worst case-get a paper clip and try to poke it in there. I cannot verify if the port is chromed or not so be careful. Realistically,look down the barrel of your rifle and see the size of the hole,the ones on my rifles are pretty damn big! Another thing you can do,try pouring bore cleaner down the barrel while the rifle is upside down,some solven should dribble out the gas port. You can plug the port and possibly get enough solvent in the gas port to let it 'soak' and after a while unplug,drain,and dry out.It is a pain and I hope these tips will help someone! Oh,one last thing-I have taken an extra long allen wrench and ground down the 'short end' just enough to angle it in to the port and then do the poking motion,maybe try grinding down the supplied tool. Good luck to everyone in this endeavor! :super:

Hey you all--Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Think I will try just firing the thing until, if ever it does, flat quits. Believe the gas port was placed at the 90 degree position to the barrel to eliminate shaving the bullet as the older angled port was reported to have done. Anyone hear that story?