Love my little plinker to death, but it's causing a bit of a headache.. It's always run fine until a couple weekends ago. I've only ever run Federal Lightning through it (except the occasional Rem Yellow Jacket when grounhogs are present :angel:) and it's never really had any issues. I let my girlfriend fire it, and it's suddenly FTF after FTE. I cleared it, checked for anything unusual, and dumped the mag without issue. Reload, double tap, and it's good. Hand it back to her, -pop- stovepipe... I figured she was just limp-wristing it, but now it's pulling this crap with me. Somehow, I can mag-dump just fine, but if I'm actually taking the time to aim and try to fire just one round, it will usually FTE (and I really can't explain this.) The slide goes back and re-cocks the hammer, yet the fired round remains in the chamber. :unsure: How is that possible on a blow-back gun?? Am I hallucinating or does anyone else have experience with this? The other malfunction I get is a normal FTF where an improper ejection causes the next round to hit the feed ramp at too low an angle and sits half-in-half-out of the mag. My best guess is the extractor spring going out, but this gun has only had about 500 rounds through it. Defective? Wrong ammo? Operator error? I plead for your insight, o wise ones!!!

1. Make sure the gun is clean/oiled.

2. Inspect the extractor, make sure that it is not chipped or otherwise damaged - buy a handful of dummy rounds and hand-cycle the pistol.

You could be right about the extractor spring - even the best companies can occasionally screw up tempering a spring. Walther (or S&W, who made your pistol?) offers a very good, fairly fast warranty repair service in case you can't figure it out yourself.

Thanks for the quick responses! My local gun shop owner suggested I stop firing, "That cheap Walmart shit." I picked up a brick of Centurion and I'll give that a whirl maybe later today (if this insane wind ever dies down.) Hand-cycles without issue. The extractor looks fine as far as I can tell, though the seat for it in the side of the chamber (not sure of nomenclature there) seems ever-so-slightly worn down. One would think that this would aid in the removal of the brass, if anything? This one was made by S&W, or at least the slide was. It has markings for both on the slide and only Walther on the frame (not sure who makes what these days.) Looking at the extractor right now, I can easily manipulate it with my thumbnail from closed to open. I don't remember the spring being so weak in the past... And thanks Tony, but unfortunately, I don't have the world's most kickass job/toys.. Wondering exactly why that made the difference..? Increased weight on the front of the gun stabilized the frame enough for the extractor to grip the brass more efficiently? Or increased resistance to gas flow helped push the rounds out of the chamber with more force? Just curious how that all works. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick responses! My local gun shop owner suggested I stop firing, "That cheap Walmart shit." I picked up a brick of Centurion and I'll give that a whirl maybe later today (if this insane wind ever dies down.) Hand-cycles without issue. The extractor looks fine as far as I can tell, though the seat for it in the side of the chamber (not sure of nomenclature there) seems ever-so-slightly worn down. One would think that this would aid in the removal of the brass, if anything? This one was made by S&W, or at least the slide was. It has markings for both on the slide and only Walther on the frame (not sure who makes what these days.) Looking at the extractor right now, I can easily manipulate it with my thumbnail from closed to open. I don't remember the spring being so weak in the past... And thanks Tony, but unfortunately, I don't have the world's most kickass job/toys.. Wondering exactly why that made the difference..? Increased weight on the front of the gun stabilized the frame enough for the extractor to grip the brass more efficiently? Or increased resistance to gas flow helped push the rounds out of the chamber with more force? Just curious how that all works. Thanks again.

My S&W MP 22 recommends certain type ammo. Junk stuff jams it up.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/S&W_M&P_1522_Manual_08-30-2010.pdf

Critical to performance and maintenance a rifle is regular cleaning

and the use of high-quality ammunition. This is even more

important with .22 caliber rifles. There is a broad array of .22LR

ammunition made by several manufacturers in different brands

and types. Smith & Wesson has found wide variations in primer

sensitivity and other characteristics between some brands and

types of .22LR ammunition.

Based on the design and action of the M&P15-22, Smith &

Wesson recommends that you use the following brands and

types of .22LR ammunition for optimal performance in your

M&P15-22 rifle:

• CCI Standard Velocity • Federal American Eagle

• CCI Mini-Mag • Federal GameShock

• Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity • Winchester Super-X High Velocity

• Aguila Super Extra High Velocity

WARNING: NEVER USE CCI® .22 LONG RIFLE

STINGER® BRAND AMMUNITION IN YOUR M&P15-22Through our testing, Smith & Wesson has also found that there

are several brands and types of .22LR ammunition that do not

perform consistently or reliably. Consequently, Smith & Wesson

DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of

.22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:

• Remington Golden Bullet • Remington Thunderbolt

• Remington Target 22 • Winchester Wildcat

• Any and all sub-sonic brands and types

Edited by Jetmech

Not sure about the S&W models but many Walthers are temperamental with different ammo. My Walther eats anything but snakeshot including subsonics. No hiccups. My friend's P22 different story. He had a Smith do some work on his as his wouldn't reliably cycle much for ammo.

Funny the M&P-22 is so fussy. My buddy's dedicated Spike's Tactical .22 isn't fussy at all.

Ok, so majority vote is bad ammo. I was hesitant to pay the extra for CCI, especially since the gun was running Federal so well before, but I guess I've got to suck it up and run quality stuff. I should probably have researched before asking, but does anybody know where i can find exact specs for the P22? Still not completely ruling out that extractor...

Tony's suggestion that you get a can isn't really that far out there. I run a YHM Mite on my P22s, and they both eat just about anything. If you live in a state where they're legal, the fun factor (and depending on your situation, a modicum of practicality) is well worth the expense.

Tony's suggestion that you get a can isn't really that far out there. I run a YHM Mite on my P22s, and they both eat just about anything. If you live in a state where they're legal, the fun factor (and depending on your situation, a modicum of practicality) is well worth the expense.

I've wanted a suppressor for a long time now, actually drooled over a few at a gun show last year, but it's not really practical for me. This gun is one that I just keep as a sidearm when varmint hunting and break it out now and again for plinking. I'm still very curious as to why they make a difference, though? I'm betting there's already a thread on this somewhere...

• 2 months later...

clean it really well, look for gunk in the extractor channel or the firing pin channel, clean the breechface and the magazines. I'd polish the chamber really well, it can be done quickly and easily, if you know how. roughened chambers are a major problem with .22's.

I've wanted a suppressor for a long time now, actually drooled over a few at a gun show last year, but it's not really practical for me. This gun is one that I just keep as a sidearm when varmint hunting and break it out now and again for plinking. I'm still very curious as to why they make a difference, though? I'm betting there's already a thread on this somewhere...

Didn't notice your response until it got bumped - the suppressor increases pressure, which aids the blowback action of the weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

CCI mini mags and CCI stingers work all day long in my wife's P22. We tried Federal and it was inconsistent in her P22, but ran fine out of my S&W 2206 stainless.

I only use CCI in all of my rim fires now (5 of 'em) because it's much cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally tracked down a supply of CCI Blazer 40gr. Love that stuff both for consistency and cleanliness. But it looks like I'm about to get a suppressor anyhow. Popped one shot off in the backyard Sunday afternoon and immediately heard that delightful squeal in my eardrums that says, "Holy lack of hearing protection!" With any luck, my garden will be pest-free next year and I'll finally have a class II item. :super:

If it's really only happening to the GF chances are it's her. She may be "limp wristing" it. There is a certain amount of end of travel stop needed for the blow back system to work. Might need to work with her in her grip and hold or might be easier to get her a revolver to use, (maybe a new GF :lolol: ).

Edited by 20-Mags

If it's really only happening to the GF chances are it's her. She may be "limp wristing" it. There is a certain amount of end of travel stop needed for the blow back system to work. Might need to work with her in her grip and hold or might be easier to get her a revolver to use, (maybe a new GF :lolol: ).

:lolol: Yeah, that would be the cheapest solution, wouldn't it? I think a good 80% of it was her, but it was occasionally failing to eject on me. She hasn't shot it since the change of ammunition, so time will tell I suppose.. She kind of freaked when I told her the amount I'd be spending (found a pretty nice, easily serviceable can for under $300+tax stamp) but I told her not to worry. "You're not going to be allowed to look at it, let alone touch it, so it's no dig deal." :haha:

I thought about a Ruger Single Six since she's pretty inept when it comes to proper procedure. Somehow, she is still under the impression that it is an airsoft gun and she has to manually chamber each round. :blink: