Surefire vs all other AK mags?

Can be made to fit yes, out of the box, no.

Saigas in OE form do not have a bullet guide. Saiga specific mags like the SGM/Promag/Tapcos, have a bullet guide built into the front of the magazine. The built in bullet guide is what prevents them from fitting in other AK's.

By removing that built in bullet guide, they can function in other AK's that have a bullet guide installed on the trunnion.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

I dont know if any of those mags have a LRBHO follower to begin with (OE Saiga mags dont). But by modifying a Saiga specific mag by removing the built in bullet guide, wouldnt have any affect on LRBHO capability.

If modified to fit, would it still have the LRBHO capability?

Yes. The LRBHO is part of the follower. I'm not a big fan though - when you take the mag out, the bolt is no longer held open. It slams shut unless you separately lock the rifle's BHO.

If modified to fit, would it still have the LRBHO capability?

Yes. The LRBHO is part of the follower. I'm not a big fan though - when you take the mag out, the bolt is no longer held open. It slams shut unless you separately lock the rifle's BHO.

Thanks, to be honest, these mags are going to be used on an AR variant, its a 7.62x39 AR15, the MGI lower has interchangeable mag wells for use with standard AR mags or AK mags. The AR mags for 7.62x39 are not overly dependable so I'll be using both, plus AK drums:)

Standard AK mags wont hold the bolt open on the AR either, so when I saw that Surefire mags might, I'm all over them!

Saigas in OE form do not have a bullet guide. Saiga specific mags like the SGM/Promag/Tapcos, have a bullet guide built into the front of the magazine. The built in bullet guide is what prevents them from fitting in other AK's.

By removing that built in bullet guide, they can function in other AK's that have a bullet guide installed on the trunnion.

How would I remove the bullet guide?

The LRBHO is part of the follower. I'm not a big fan though - when you take the mag out, the bolt is no longer held open. It slams shut unless you separately lock the rifle's BHO.

I own a few Surefire mags, and also dislike the LRBHO.

Is it possible to replace the followers with standard AK Followers?

Thanks in advance.

...I posted the same question yesterday, but haven't gotten any response yet.

http://forum.saiga-1...__1#entry632015

How would I remove the bullet guide?

To remove the bullet guide you can just file it down. If you do an google search for Dinzag's bullet guide installation, you will see an example at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.