First saiga 12 shooting today with friends.... epic failure

Well Pauly i finally got to it today. I didnt have too much time after work and i was tired so i kinda said screw it and went with drilling my existing holes to .090 with a 3/32 bit. The pic is kinda deceiveing bc the ports are all open and the gas block doesnt cover them but its really tight. The one closest to the receiver i dont think anything can be done about bc i was told not to file in that direction. So ill try and shoot it in the next week or two to see how it goes i am having high hopes. If it doesnt cycle the light stuff i guess ill take the gas block back off and file it a bit but im thinking this will do the trick.

post-31013-0-76979900-1302395744_thumb.jpg

Edited by surratt

also how are you guys getting the little pieces of metal from drilling out of the port holes in the barrel. I tryed snaking it and it helped but i already put the gas block back on so whatever i do i need to do with the gun being together. Will it be a big deal when im shooting, I would think the shot would eventually erode it away.

Mine is an undersized 3 port gun. You need to shoot these things before you start butchering them. Hopefully it solves your issue, but it only took me 2 range trips to get my 3 port to run flawless on walmart federal. IMO drilling would be the absolute last thing I would do.

Just sayin.

+1

Mine is an undersized 3 port gun. You need to shoot these things before you start butchering them. Hopefully it solves your issue, but it only took me 2 range trips to get my 3 port to run flawless on walmart federal. IMO drilling would be the absolute last thing I would do.

Just sayin.

yeah it went smooth. I ran a hundred or so rounds through it and it wouldnt cycle my light stuff. An undersized port is an undersized port so i drilled it carefully at the right angle to the correct size..... That seems like it bee the first thing you would do once you realize it wont cycle and you have undersized ports (besides polishing the bolt). I dont know hopefully all will be well ill give a range report in a couple of weeks prolly.

Mine is an undersized 3 port gun. You need to shoot these things before you start butchering them.IMO drilling would be the absolute last thing I would do.Just sayin.

That seems like it bee the first thing you would do once you realize it wont cycle and you have undersized ports (besides polishing the bolt).

Not exactly. There are many things you should try before drilling in my opinion. I'm not saying that you were wrong to do yours, just that drilling is the very last thing I would do after reducing friction, polishing and shooting a lot.

He already did everything but he had obstructed undersized ports.

Sometimes you do have to address them.

It's definitely not the first thing you do, but in his case, he got to the point where it was time.

Others, like Mr. OneEyedBoah were able to just address friction & his gun runs well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a little update fellows, i truely fell in love with my Sammy the s12 this weekend. After drilling the 3 holes to .090 like Pauly recommended and having my bolt polished that thing didnt have a single hangup in 200 rounds of Federal bulk.

Needless to say people were wowed by the gun and not even knowing there was shotgun available with a drum or a magazine. Everyone was all on my guns nuts and that moment sirs made all these headeaches and research that I have been through worth it. I got the gun in december and $2000 later ive got the sweetest shotgun you can own in my opinion.

I would just like to thank my fellow brothers on this site bc without yall that gun would be a piece of furniture. This site is a godsend so thank you good sirs and especially Pauly for the help.