Optics for a Red Jacket rifle with HK sights

If anyone has a Red Jacket rifle with HK sights and uses a rail scope mount, will you tell me what rail you are using please?

Will at Red Jacket said he has seen it done before, but I will have to install the dust cover after I lock the scope rail on the left side of the receiver. He also said, I may have to remove 1/4 inch off the back of the top of the rail to be able to install the dust cover. I asked him what rail might work, but he wasn't for sure, since he doesn't use them himself. I don't have the rifle yet, but I'm slotted for the first production run. Thanks in advance for any help. Please P.M. me if you know what rail I need. This is the rifle it's going on.

Thought, maybe this mount would work? It says it sits further forward and has the picitinny rail I want for mounting optics.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/bp-02akakmlowprofilecenteredsidemounttoweaverrailwtacticalsiderailandblackfinishnew-1.aspx

You could go with a kalinka side mount for the aimpoint.

The one with the rail that sits totally off to the left side of the gun, and has the ring that holds the aimpoint over the centerline of the bore.

If you get lucky there's a good chance it'll co-witness.

Reason I said that would work, you could install the side mount, then drop the aimpoint with the ring onto it.

No real way around the sights though, you're going to have to remove the dust cover to drop the full aimpoint+ring+mount onto the gun and to remove it.

I can't find it on their website any more...

Edited by Tombs

You could go with a kalinka side mount for the aimpoint.

The one with the rail that sits totally off to the left side of the gun, and has the ring that holds the aimpoint over the centerline of the bore.

If you get lucky there's a good chance it'll co-witness.

Reason I said that would work, you could install the side mount, then drop the aimpoint with the ring onto it.

No real way around the sights though, you're going to have to remove the dust cover to drop the full aimpoint+ring+mount onto the gun and to remove it.

I can't find it on their website any more...

If I could co-witness, that would be cool. I really am not concerned about co-witnessing though. Been really thinking of an Eotech or an Acog. The old eyeballs aren't what they where 20 years ago. I know the balistics are going to be about the same as a krink, but still want to shoot out to 100 yards. Maybe a mount higher than the irons would be best?

If you're going that route, you might as well look into all awesome optics around for the AK platform...

should go to kalinka's website.

Tombs,

Thanks. I see they have a forum. I'll give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose to solve a similar problem on my S-12 by having the builder, (Lone Star Arms), incorporate this particular rail:

tromixhksightrail.png

It's a Tromix part which you can purchase from CSS.

Many optics mounted to this rail will easily cowitness with the H&K irons. Since it became redundant and pretty useless, I had my factory side rail removed.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic