Welding on Galil handle... Question

I was going to send Pauly's Steelin' my carrier for a weld on Galil handle. Just found out yesterday a shipping company we all know "lost" my completed lower AR receiver.... I'm scared to trust a shipper ( also , see Mississippi arms thread). I'd be sick to have a lost carrier, as they are not to be found. So I've ordered a Tromix handle. One of my best friends is an aircraft certified welder and said he can do it. How much of the original charge handle do you leave sticking out? Obviously we will chamfer both the handle and the Tromix handle to build a solid weld. Thanks!! Keith

Hello goober

I will have done eight of mine when I finish the four I'm doing now. The first four I trimmed back to eliminate the "curvature" of the original charging handle stub which didn't leave much room to make the top weld. It also forced me to slightly modify the dust covers due to the weld reinforcement riding beneath the edge.

The next four I cut well out into the actual charging "hook" itself. By the time I prep'd and bevelled the remaining stub I had slightly less than 1/2" remaining. I think this will allow the modified bolt to run in a stock dust cover, be easier to access the top weld, and will lessen any interference between handle and any rails or optics that may be mounted.

May not be a bad idea to angle the top of the handle away from the receiver a couple of degrees, especially if you intend to run optics.

JMHO....

-guido

If I may make a suggestion - think hard about the final height of the handle - especially in regards to the type of sights you run. I have seen some that look great but when you go to charge the weapon - you rip up the bottom of your hand on the factory rear sight.

PS - Pauly has a ton of info on this subject. If he doesn't chime in - shoot him a pm - one of the most helpful guys I've ever encountered.

I'd rather just keep this gun together and not have the hassle of dealing with even more damn lost items that I will never see.... I still have an Aimpoint that the USPS shows as being delievered and signed by me, however.... it wasnt my signature. I did get my money back, but its a pain in the ass... I'll do it locally.. it's always fun tinkering..

I would ship it USPS insured for $1000 if they lose it you can buy a new gun they are not going for that much on GunBroker, yet.

Plus one on this.

That's what I did when I sent Cobra mine, insured it for $750.