enlighten me please

I grew up with a Maadi (Pars) and would like something similar. Just got back into shooting and ak's with the purchase of my s-12 last year. I dont think I am going to be happy with WASR or comparable. I see the VEPR with thumbhole stock i could reminisce with but 850 seems like a lot. Any suggestions? Should I bite it on something like that or maybe a good place to start looking for older used ones? My biggest hesitation there is I dont know a hell of a lot about them. Opinions on the biggest bang for the buck?? I know we go through theese questions all the time but any help would be greatly appreciated as always!

Edited by Yoshi

I grew up with a Maddi (Pars) and would like something similar. Just got back into shooting and ak's with the purchase of my s-12 last year. I dont think I am going to be happy with WASR or comparable. I see the VEPR with thumbhole stock i could reminisce with but 850 seems like a lot. Any suggestions? Should I bite it on something like that or maybe a good place to start looking for older used ones? My biggest hesitation there is I dont know a hell of a lot about them. Opinions on the biggest bang for the buck?? I know we go through theese questions all the time but any help would be greatly appreciated as always!

its been said that the only thing thats cheap about a WASR is the finish on the wood

I grew up with a Maddi (Pars) and would like something similar. Just got back into shooting and ak's with the purchase of my s-12 last year. I dont think I am going to be happy with WASR or comparable. I see the VEPR with thumbhole stock i could reminisce with but 850 seems like a lot. Any suggestions? Should I bite it on something like that or maybe a good place to start looking for older used ones? My biggest hesitation there is I dont know a hell of a lot about them. Opinions on the biggest bang for the buck?? I know we go through theese questions all the time but any help would be greatly appreciated as always!

its been said that the only thing thats cheap about a WASR is the finish on the wood

^ I kinda agree. Just like to add that it SEEMS that you run into more canted sights as well, with the WASRs. But if you dont mind the finish and if you can redo the wood, or if that doesnt bother you. Then they are great all around rifles. They run like AKs and you dont feel bad if it gets a scratch or two.

Other then that you'd have to step up to pro built one. Arsenal or similar. Now your looking at about the same price as the Vepr +/- depending on what you want. Or look for a used one for sale.

Look around for a converted Mak90 or one that you can convert yourself. That should put you in better quality then the WASR and cheaper then the VEPR. Or a converted Saiga.

Good thing about wasrs is as long as only the front sight block is canted it's an easy fix. I only have one WASR and after some work I like it a good bit. Older ones may have trigger slap.

Although right now they seem overpriced which would have me looking elsewhere, but then again everything is going up in price atm. If you can go to a gun show and handle a wasr for yourself to check it for faults it's definately preferable to ordering one you havn't seen online- you can pretty quickly check for the known issues.

I've got a WASR that has no sight cant and mags fit as tight as any other AK I own. It's my beater AK so of course I wasn't afraid to put a quadrail on it and a collapsing M-4 style stock, and SAW grip on it to modernize it a bit as well as a G2 FCG. It goes bang every trigger squeeze regardless.

Let me ask this, are the Romanian one considered to be a better quality the Bulgarian, Polish, Yugoslavian, Czech, etc... If not Russian which is the next best and so on? Thanx again.

Edited by Yoshi

Let me ask this, are the Romanian one considered to be a better quality the Bulgarian, Polish, Yugoslavian, Czech, etc... If not Russian which is the next best and so on? Thanx again.

A lot comes down to who built it. A lot of these come in as parts. You might buy one and find out it has major problems and think "This is shit! I thought AKs dont jam/break" When in reality the builder slapped it together half assed.

Czech is completely different rifle. Think of it as kind of an AK inspired rifle. Kinda similar look and same ammo. Thats about it. Nothing, not even the mags, is interchangeable between the AK and the VZ. Lighter then AKs and operates differently.

Yugos have thicker(1.6mm vs 1mm ) milled receivers, longer handguards and a grenade launching, gas shot off system. But usually dont have chrome lined barrels unless it was installed by someone here.

Russian and Bulgarian are about the same.

Polish are nice. Lots of versions. Underfolders, fixed stock, side folders on the Tantal. Milled or stamped. Heard a lot of good things about Century's Polish 1960 AK. Has a milled receiver.

Romanian are everywhere! :D Only bad thing about them is the finish and if they have canted sights and or gas blocks. But a lot of AKs, not only Romanian have that. If you have canted sights but are able to adjust your front sight post then your are good to go. If it really bothers you there are people that can fix that. My Bulgarian SBR has canted sights and it was made in Bulgaria not here. But its so no biggy sight post adjusts fine.

If you want a list of Best to worst Everyone's is going to be slightly different.

Czech. Nice rifle but its not an AK. Completely different rifle.

Russian/Bulgy

Polish

Yugo

Hungarian

Romanian

Maddi

Chinese (poly tech, Norinco)

I put those two separate since Chinese is no longer imported. And I dont see too many Maddis any more. The Chinese ones are/were nice when they came in but now it depends on how good the previous owner took care of it. The 2 Norincos I have are the tightest fitting, smoothest shooting AKs I've ever had or shot.

Edited by Arik

This is my Romanian WASR and the second one that i have refinished. When purchased the wood is pretty rough on them, but as you can see you can really spruce 'em up with little effort and little out of pocket. As for the sights you can get sight tools for $15. Ive never had a problem with jamming and fully support these rifles! :killer:

my ak.bmp

I would put the romys on the bottom of the list, it's almost like they really hated being part of the soviet union and it showed in there rifles, with that said though you can find some good ones it's just not my first choice.

Romania was never part of the Soviet Union. They were under a Communist Dictator and were Allies with the Soviets. Sorry for the thread Jack.

Thanks for the good info. Im trying to get as much info as I can before I make a purchase. Seems like there are so many importers and different companies that modify, not to mention Im pretty ignorant on the subject.

Dunno if it's just romania so much as the components used in wasr- normally substandard to keep costs down..

Draco use better parts and are also romanian, better quality in general than wasrs. Also Romy-g kits have been turned into some outstanding AKs.

WASR is really it's own deal.. I wouldn't put all romanian rifles into the same category.

BTW I love my wasr.. It's my crappiest ak and it still ROCKS. would trust it with my life.. And since it's a .223 I don't mind saying I'd grab it before my AR any day. Actually hoping to do a side by side video at some point to compare them. Like both of them, but I trust the WASR with dirt, mud, lack of cleaning, and it shoots darn well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I ordered my AK today from Atlantic. After trying to do as much comparison as possible and figuring out what I would like as far as looks, I pulled out the extra $$$. Should have my RAK Classic Red in pretty soon. I will update to let everyone know what I think!:beer: