Why convert front of Saiga

I've converted it to pistol grip, shot a bunch of javelinas and pigs, I have a TWS dog leg. Is converting the handguard and the front just for aesthetics and to put more junk on rails? I have no ambition to do unless there is some sort of performance value akin to the trigger group replacement.

Yep, just for aesthetics.

Not exactly... You could swap the gas block for acceptance of a cleaning rod, and the front sight base for the acceptance of a bayonet and/or a compensator or flash suppressor or booster if needed. To me, most of those things are function over form IMO.

Yep, just for aesthetics.

Not exactly... You could swap the gas block for acceptance of a cleaning rod, and the front sight base for the acceptance of a bayonet and/or a compensator or flash suppressor or booster if needed. To me, most of those things are function over form IMO.

I'd agree with all but the cleaning rod. I've never understood why that's necessary. An AK is far more reliable than many other guns without attached cleaning rods. I think it just adds weight and is something else to affect barrel harmonics without much benefit. And if you don't need a cleaning rod or an additional 922r part, there's not much reason to go with a traditional AK handguard other than aesthetics.

Another thought - those gas block sights look cool and remove weight from the front of the rifle. It gives you a shorter sight radius, but that can be made up by using a peep sight at the rear of the receiver.

definately think the barrel threading is worth it..

Also I like the feel of standard AK handguards.. Tried several different options and always come back to them- I guess theres a reason they've been used for over 50 years.

Edited by volkov