A simple straight up question. What is the practical reasons for converting them? Do they shoot better, faster? Is it because the trigger is sloppy or maybe just for more of a purist AK look. If I took a saiga right out from the box what is the tactical disadvantage that rifle has to the conversions?

If you want it exclusively for hunting purposes then yes, it may just be worth saving the few dollars back and leaving it as it. If you want to use it for plinking and as a defense weapon its a lot better to convert it.

Once you convert it, you can legally use high cap mags, the trigger is greatly improved over the sloppy one from the factory, it improves the ergonomics of the weapon, etc. I don't personally see any reason to not convert them if you plan on the gun being used for anything more than hunting with it a few times a year because, yes it's a good weapon the way it is but it could become so much more and for the price of a basic conversion its worth every penny.

By the way, welcome to the forums! :D

This was barrowed from a sticky titled: Why should you convert your Saiga? posted by Twinsen in May of 09

Intro:

Your Saiga is made in the same plant, by the same people, and on the same lines as all Russian AK's. The 74's, the AKMs, the 100 series, etc, are all made at Izhmash, the Russian factory where Mr. Kalashnikov still works. Yes, the man that designed the AK-47 still works there. Now look on the side of your gun, it says Izhmash on it and has their arrow in a triangle symbol. Now is when you can crack an evil smile.

Importation/Legality:

In order to be imported into this country, it had to be neutered. It had to be in "sporting configuration" to be importable by law. That is why all the cool guns are made in the United States, or imported in a neutered form, or totally unavailable. The Saiga is only imported at this time, so they all start out with a conventional stock manner, which is NOT the way they are supposed to be configured. They put a plate over the trigger hole on the bottom of your receiver. Underneath that plate is the trigger, which has the lever part where your finger would go removed, it is just the mechanical portion of it left behind. So your trigger/sear, disconnector, and hammer are all in place where they should be. The problem is that the trigger you actually pull is connected to a bar... and that bar pulls the actual trigger. Ridiculous? OH YEAH. But it is how they have to import them thanks to our laws. It is 100% legal by Federal law to "convert" your Saiga to regular AK setup, which is quite easy to do. It is just removal of two pins, and your fire control group, which just slide in and out. The pins you need to remove are rivets though, so you have to grind their ends off to push them out. Then you need to get a trigger guard, either screw on or weld on, and put on your new furniture.

Some states, I know Connecticut and New York are in this group, still have elements of the 1994 gun ban in their state laws. They say that any semi auto magazine fed shotgun cannot have a pistol grip below the receiver of the gun. Ruins your plans I bet. Well it didn't ruin mine. You can put on a one piece skeleton stock or thumbhole stock to get around that and still get great ergonomics.

Once you do this, OR attach a magazine of over 5, at 10, or over 10 round capacity? edit this out later, you are putting your gun in a "non-sporting configuration". This means you have to comply with Federal law 922r. Yes, this means if you saw a gun store with a 12 round Surefire mag in their gun, they were breaking federal law. Seriously. Don't use it until you have the right American made parts in your gun, or you could go to jail. I'm not joking, and I am not mistaken.

922r:

This law states that you cannot have more than 10 imported parts within a list of parts that are important. Check this website for easy check on this:

922r worksheet: http://www.thegunwik...erifyCompliance

If you want to use higher capacity magazines on your Saiga shotgun, you have to replace other parts to make it legal by Federal law. Might as well convert, buddy. You're going to be replacing stuff anyway.

Ok, that's all well and good... but WHY SHOULD I CONVERT?

Upside:

~Removes complication from your fire control group.

~Improves every aspect of trigger pull. You get lighter pull, less friction, better feel, less slack, etc etc etc. Pulling a trigger rather than pulling a lever that tilts a bar that pulls the real trigger isn't the best setup.

~Puts the gun in the configuration that was intended.

~Improves ergonomics.

~Cuts the length of your gun by 4-5 inches. You also get to pick your Length of Pull by choosing from all the AK stocks in the world, which vary from American use (long) to Asian use (short).

~Puts the center of gravity closer to your body, making the gun more controllable.

~It will point better.

~It will aim faster.

~Recoil will be handled better.

~Some find a pistol grip makes getting back on target much easier and faster. I am one of those. So is every military on the planet.

~You get to use high capacity magazines such as the MD-20 20 round drum with no legality issues from the Federal government.

~If you do it yourself, you'll get some pride and a detailed knowledge of how everything works.

~You get in the secret club. We'll teach you the handshake later.

~And finally, chicks dig it.

Downside:

~The parts do cost money.

~The labor either costs money or your own time.

~There are only two downsides.

~Stop looking for a downside.

EDIT to add Link: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/39651-why-should-you-convert-your-saiga/

Edited by AZG

Wow- thats what I call a good response! Pretty much sums it up, Now to start my research on a conversion package. Not to learned on the semi rifles but i do know i dont want/need an all out project just enough to increase mag cap and a nice TCG. And maybe some nice wood furniture, love the old school look.Kinda limited in what I can do being in NJ.

I'm in California and have pre-ban mags that I want to use. So I am keeping my 7.62x39 stock looking and using US made parts for 922R compliance.

If I've done my research right I can't have any evil features unless I want to use 10 round mags max with a mag lock/button.

Personally I like the look of the rifle as it comes except the plastic stocks, first thing I did with my 870 home defense shotgun was remove the plastic stocks and put a set of police wood stocks on it. I've searched tons and it appears no one makes wood stocks for these (at least on a mass production basis), that would take care of two US parts the easy way.

I'll just have to learn to live with the trigger as it came from the factory. I should pick up a 308 and convert it, local guy has them cheap enough.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in California and have pre-ban mags that I want to use. So I am keeping my 7.62x39 stock looking and using US made parts for 922R compliance.

If I've done my research right I can't have any evil features unless I want to use 10 round mags max with a mag lock/button.

Personally I like the look of the rifle as it comes except the plastic stocks, first thing I did with my 870 home defense shotgun was remove the plastic stocks and put a set of police wood stocks on it. I've searched tons and it appears no one makes wood stocks for these (at least on a mass production basis), that would take care of two US parts the easy way.

I'll just have to learn to live with the trigger as it came from the factory. I should pick up a 308 and convert it, local guy has them cheap enough.

I just finished converting my .308 and found it very easy to convert. Just getting rid of that horrible factory trigger and going with the G2 from Dinzag made it all worth while. I am now getting ready to convert my 7.62 next.

I have five 922r countable US parts on my PSL (hey, it's an AK clone): 3 in the trigger (TAPCO G2 single-hook), and a Rhineland Arms tiger maple stock set.

It's worth the 30 minutes of grumbling to get a good trigger in there. The only challenge was getting the retainer clip back on the hammer axis pin, took a bit of prodding.

The stock has taken a lot of time to finish it (sold unfinished), but my shoulders need the extra length of pull. It's heavier now, but worth it in better shooting feel.

Oh, and I bought the PSL as a hunting rifle, not as a competition piece. Until I found out that Valmet M26 20-rd mags will fit with some modifications, at least. Now, I'm looking at going into 3-gun competition with a Saiga 12, AK-platform rifle, and a CZ pistol. Yup, all 'COMBLOC' guns. Just because.