I got into cutting the shroud off to see if my barrel was threaded or not. I only cut maybe a quarter inch from the tip so I did not mess up the crown or anything. However being the over zealous dumbass that i am I did cut slightly into the barrel in a couple of areas. Is this going to seriously effect the barrel, if so can I get the messed up part cut off and re-crowned if need be.

maybe a 1/32 or even as small as a 1/64, And the son of a bitch isnt threaded and i am sure these small cuts would make threading it impossible, or is it still doable.

While your concern is natural, cuts into the barrel this small are minor and fairly common. You can still thread it. In fact, you probably will not even see these after it is threaded.

here is a pic of the worse of the two gouges, they are both in line with each other. Sorry about the pics, all I had was my camera phone. What I really want to know is can I still thread this, will the die be able to make it over these sections or is it just not worth possibly screwing the barrel up.

post-32898-0-11934800-1303920424_thumb.jpg

Edited by dashowdy

Don't know if this helps you or not, but here's my post from 27 November 2010... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/60391-ye-another-ak74-muzzle-break-job/

The first picture shows how deep I cut into it, but it also shows how much material is removed during the threading process. I couldn't see the cut after the threading was completed. Hard to tell the depth in your picture, but I'd say it's no worse that what I had.

Thanks for the pics that relieves a little stress in that case with the thickness of the die even if it did not cut down that far It would still carry over and stay straight. Well tat and die set with next paycheck, any recomendations as far as a flash hider or compensater. I am trying not to spend maybe more than 30 to 40 bucks on one. Saw some really nice ones for that price on the CSS website.