Success! And burn rate

I mentioned this in another thread but given today's experience thought I'd mention it again.

Prior to acquiring an S12 sure to have a big appetite I have reloaded all of my own shotgun shells (I only go through 200-300/yr). So when I tested my S12 pre-conversion, this is what I used....1-1/8 oz loads using Red Dot, I don't recall the powder weight but these are loaded on the high end of the pressure range and are pretty zippy.

Post-conversion the S12 still would not cycle them but cycled heavy game loads fine (Setting 2). I continued to profile and polish the hammer and underside of bolt until it would not hang up on the hammer when releasing slowly by hand....my reloads still would not eject but it was very close. I was hopeful that with break-in, a v-plug or auto plug that it would go over the edge and cycle but I don't have these parts yet.

On a whim I stopped and picked up a couple Federal bulk packs today, figuring once the gun is running on light loads I'd want to feed my MD20 without spending a ton of time on the reloader. I loaded up a couple mags, and lo and behold the S12 cycled them smartly, tossing the empties into a pile several feet away. It will not cycle from the hip but I really don't care to shoot it that way anyways.

Red Dot is on the quicker end of potential powders....if you plan to reload don't confuse powder speed with pressure! All the gun cares about is the pressure at the gas port, which may very well be higher with a slower powder. If I reload for the S12 I just need to switch to a slower burning powder and it will cycle.

Edited by spaniel

Thanks for reporting this. This is good info to know.

I've been worrying Wallyworld Federal bulk pack will be loaded with a powder that is too fast. I'm getting ready to tear a bunch of it partway down, and re-cast the 1 1/8th oz of #8 shot into 1 oz Foster slugs without changing the wad and the powder as a cheap break-in loading, since my range does not allow shot on the rifle line.

It's my hope that with the slugs being 1/8th oz lighter than the original shot loads, it'll get down the bore a tad faster and leave plenty of gas to cycle it well.