Comparing bakelites to circle-10's

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently bought some Izhmash 7.62x39 bakelite magazines, (from forum member KC913). After admiring their appearance, (these are in great shape), I of course grabbed a circle-10 from the pile for comparison...

bakes1.jpg

As you can see in this pic, the front steel reinforcement rib extends ~1/2 of the length of the bakelite, while it's full-length on the circle-10:

bakes2.jpg

The locking lugs on both mags are steel, and while the circle-10 has steel-backed feedlips as well, I'm not sure about the bakelite, but it doesn't look like it:

bakes3.jpg

bakes4.jpg

The stronger mag has got to be the circle-10, however, the bakelite mags are noticably lighter than the circle-10s, the upside of a little less steel. With the amount of steel reinforcement that is there, these commie mags from the 70's are still far superior to current US-made poly mags. That's pretty sad.

Anyway, here's how one looks in my rifle with her current furniture, (I'll have to go all black soon to match the folder):

bakes6.jpg

Yeah, I'm very happy with my purchase. These 7.62x39 Izzy bakelites rock. :smoke:

bakes5.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Good comparison so far! It does look like the Russian magazine doesn't have steel-reinforced feed lips. Is there any way to test with a magnet?

That is a gorgeous magazine. As unimportant as appearances are (at least that's what my mother tells me), Bakelite looks fantastic on AKs. I decided against using an Ultimak on my SSR-85c because I liked the Bakelite handguards so much.

Good comparison so far! It does look like the Russian magazine doesn't have steel-reinforced feed lips. Is there any way to test with a magnet?

That is a gorgeous magazine. As unimportant as appearances are (at least that's what my mother tells me), Bakelite looks fantastic on AKs. I decided against using an Ultimak on my SSR-85c because I liked the Bakelite handguards so much.

I'll find a magnet and check, but I suspect there is no steel there. Regardless, the bakelite mags have steel in all other areas that it counts, and they are damn light for how sturdy they are.

I probably won't fire more than a handful of rounds, (to check function), out of any of the bakelites. I bought these for the looks and the Izzy stamp; more to show off than use. I have plenty of common steel mags and circle-10s to serve as range "beaters".