Range report; ammo testing

Just got back from the range for a partial ammo test, and figured I would share my results. No FTFs luckily; these were new boxes of ammo and generally I only get FTFs if the shell is dimpled/dented in front.

All these are using the default gas plug, setting "1".

Winchester AA Super Handicap, Heavy Target Load

22 Good, 3 FTE.

Remington Promise Handicap, Target Load

14 Good, 9 FTE.

Federal Field & Target Multipurpose Load

5 good, 10 FTE (I intentionally cut this one short when I saw where this was going).

Remington Nitro Sporting Clays

25 Good, 0 FTE

I didn't get any more than that because I ran out of time. Boxes I still need to test:

Winchester AA Light Target Load

Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays

Winchester High Brass Game Load <- I've run these in the past with moderately good results

I'm guessing if I go gas setting 2, I might get some improvements (maybe the 1st one would be good). I also listed this in order I ran them, with the thinking that maybe the temperature of the gun might affect things.

I'm thinking of buying that auto-plug from Tac47, and see if that helps. In the matches I participate in, I sometimes have to swap between bird to slug and having something where I don't have to fiddle with that might be helpful.

UNRELATED: Can anyone recommend a good recoil pad/buffer? The stock is a DPH Skeleton Stock (folder). 2 threaded holes are visible in the back, so I'm guessing it would take an Ace buffer. Not so sure about the Tromix Limbsaver.

I shamefully admit that only after a few shots, I was in real pain in the shoulder (in contrast to that, I can fire my Knoxx-equipped M590 all day long and not feel a thing) and had to do most of the test with a big bean-bag on my shoulder. It shouldn't have been a factor here because I was only testing cycling, but obviously I wasn't shooting all that accurate with that big bag on my shoulder.

Edited by stsai465

You should have tried to switch to #2.

Where do you shoot? Garland or DFW Gun? I was in Garland today.Shredded a carton box to dust. :rolleyes:

DFW Gun on Mockingbird. I wanted to test on #1 to get a base-line. My next test run of boxes, I will go #2.

Make sure to hold the gun tight to you shoulder. That's very important for proper cycling and also will keep you from getting sore and bruised. I've been a shot-gunner all my life and the S12 is THE lightest recoiling shotgun I've ever used.

Looks like you've been a member here for awhile, so you should be read up on all the mods to the internals that will help. I'd try those before buying extra parts that may not be necessary.

Make sure to hold the gun tight to you shoulder. That's very important for proper cycling and also will keep you from getting sore and bruised. I've been a shot-gunner all my life and the S12 is THE lightest recoiling shotgun I've ever used.

Looks like you've been a member here for awhile, so you should be read up on all the mods to the internals that will help. I'd try those before buying extra parts that may not be necessary.

I've been a member for a while, but actually owning a Saiga is new. For starters, I'm going to go ahead and give the rubber pad a try.

By comparison, my Moss 590 w/ the Knoxx is a lot easier on my shoulder and that's a pump gun, which kind of surprises me.

Where do you shoot? Garland or DFW Gun? I was in Garland today.Shredded a carton box to dust. :rolleyes:

I think I met you at garland range Sunday. I had the brand new Saiga that didn't like what I was feeding it!

I think I met you at garland range Sunday. I had the brand new Saiga that didn't like what I was feeding it!

Hey! That was me! How is going? Let's keep in touch.

I was there about 1-ish to 3-ish Sunday. Spent the first part of the hour trying to get my rifle sighted, then the rest doing my ammo testing. I'll be finishing the rest this Sunday at Dallas Pistol Club's Shotgun steel match.

I was there about 1-ish to 3-ish Sunday. Spent the first part of the hour trying to get my rifle sighted, then the rest doing my ammo testing. I'll be finishing the rest this Sunday at Dallas Pistol Club's Shotgun steel match.

I should be able to participate in the match too. I guess I will meet you there. Are you the club member by any chance?

I should be able to participate in the match too. I guess I will meet you there. Are you the club member by any chance?

Yes I am. Look for the Tx Longhorn visor. I will probably be shooting my Mossberg 590 (need to burn off the ammo I have that isn't Saiga friendly), then doing my ammo testing on the Saiga after the match concludes (been told I can shoot them off there because it's the same day as the approved match).

Yes I am. Look for the Tx Longhorn visor. I will probably be shooting my Mossberg 590 (need to burn off the ammo I have that isn't Saiga friendly), then doing my ammo testing on the Saiga after the match concludes (been told I can shoot them off there because it's the same day as the approved match).

Ok. I'll be wearing Tactical Triple pouch ACU camo.

Following up; met w/ Razr and we had a nice time.

Gas setting 1 (except where otherwise noted):

Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays

25 good, 0 FTE

Winchester AA Light Target Load

10 FTE (5 on gas 1, 5 on gas 2; stopped test after this).

Winchester High Brass Game Load (recoil noteably stronger here than the previous 2)

24 good, 1 FTF (with the shell ending up getting crimped badly against the ramp, so likely this shell will have to only be fired out of a pump now).

So basically, this gun cycles great on clay-type high velocity birdshot, pretty good on high-brass birdshot, but not the really cheap "multi-purpose" stuff.

Unrelated; purchased an Ace 1" recoil pad to attach to the DPH Skeleton stock, along with a comb for better cheek weld (I'm using a Osprey red-dot, which kind of raises the eye level), both which helped run the gun much better than last time.