Running into a few issues...can you help?

Ok guys,

I'm right smack in the middle of the S12 conversion and I've hit a couple of snags I'd like your thoughts on.

1. My ace push button folding mechanism locks up... its unattached to the block, just screwing the Ace 8.5 inch stock on... When I tighten the stock retention screws in, the mechanism locks completely up, if i back the screws out maby 1/8th of a rotation... it works fine, retighten... its like its welded shut. I've looked close, the screws are not penetrateing thru and " catching " on something inside, it seems to me like after fiddleing with it for about 3 hours now, that last 1/8th rotation ( which it needs to be snug but not really even tight yet ) is putting just a bit of bow in the male side of the block causeing it to catch top and bottom of the female side of the block ( by block I mean folding mechanism ) .... easy fix? just lightly buff with emory cloth till it clears? anyone else ever seen one do this?

2. and this one is gonna be subjective and open to your best brainstorming ideas... I'm useing a custom Fuglystick front handguard, and a Custom Alumilight barrel shroud, both are designed to work together so that the shroud extends about an inch into the fuglystick for a seamless look that has no barrel left exposed. I had always liked the look of the shroud and fuglystick together but they always had that 1 inch gap between em that killed it for me... well, the guys fixed that for me....

Now the problem is... no barrel exposed = no Krebs front sights... so.. I'm useing HK weld ons.

I also have the ace internal block and have cut my existing rear trunion down to accept it, which means no dust cover rails that mount to the trunion and rear factory sight slot, besides the rear HK would be an issue.

Side fold stock so useing a side mounted dogleg won't work for a minidot mount.

useing the Fugly so no Chaos top rail ( or other brands that have to be bolted to a matching lower )

how do I mount a rail section to the top of the gun, near the area of the factory rear dovetail sight to mount an optic on? .... I'm at a loss. It only needs to be about 2 inches long, not really after a full rail, just wanna mount a Burris fastfire. I know R&RTargets makes the rear factory dovetail replacement fastfire mounting plate with the protective sides and all, but to be honest, I don't trust it, its too much optic tied to the gun in too little of a contact point and you'll never make me feel safe enough with it to think setting it down wrong won't sheer it off and possibly a good chunk of the reciever as well as it breaks loose from that dovetail.

I dunno... just cant think of another solution to the problem as I've almost rendered every possible pre existing product unusuable cause of my choices so far.

would it be possible to like... tack weld a steel rail to the top half of a set of steel scope rings... use the rings to sit down over the gas tube and use screws to hold it to the Fuglystick thru the holes that would USUALLY hold the top half of the scope ring to the bottom half?

thoughts? ideas? suggestions?

one suggestion that won't mar the visible finish is to run a tap thru the threads. If the screw threads don't protrude past flush when tight, but lock up the mechanism, my best guess is too tight of a thread engagement.

remember to use lubricant on your tap and loctite on your final mounting screws - check your fit thoroughly before loctite-ing

Enjoy the project - Sweet sense of accomplishment in a bruised shoulder. :killer:

mark

PS your other issue is difficult to understand without a pic of the setup

Edited by mark mallek

>>I'm useing a custom Fuglystick front handguard, and a Custom Alumilight barrel shroud, both are designed to work together so that the shroud extends about an inch into the fuglystick for a seamless look that has no barrel left exposed. I had always liked the look of the shroud and fuglystick together but they always had that 1 inch gap between em that killed it for me... well, the guys fixed that for me....

Always felt the same way about the Fuglystick & Alumilight barrel shroud combo.

Please do post pics!

Just as soon as I can get all the ordered bits and pieces to work thru the mail system and get it put together, trust me, I'll be plastering this place with pics... I've never seen another like what I'm going to end up with, and I'm damn proud of her even if she's not finished yet. I can't say enough good about the quality jobs the guys that have done the custom work to make the vision in my head a reality have done....

Credit where credit is due... there are alot of people responsible for the fabrication of my S12... and when I post pics, I'll give the shout out to each for what they've done.

I swear the parts cant come in fast enough... I'm worse than my 4 year old was at Christmas.

I want her done so I can show her off SO BAD!!!