Norinco MAK 90 FRONT SIGHT BASE & GAS BLOCK

On January 2008 - "Messiah Jones offered a really good tutorial on threading his Saiga barrel. Jones suggest a kit for processing the threads, and also mentioned the retainer pin that sits in the front sight base, and is used to lock the muzzle break from unthreading. He mentioned correctly that not all barrels are threaded, and not all front sight bases have this retainer pin, or the hole for the retainer pin.

I have a Norinco MAK 90 that I've made 922 compliant. The receiver is milled and the stampings show it came from factory 386. However, the gas block has had the bayonet lug ground off, and the front sight base has no hole to accommodate the retainer pin and spring used to lock a muzzle break. I beleive my rifle has been, to use the correct vernacular - been neutered.

I could thread my barrel according to Messiah's instructions - but, without a retainer pin, or wielding - the muzzle break could back out and off the barrel. And, then I have to deal with the gas block and the bayonet lug issue.

I have seen early Russian bayonets that do not require the gas block bayonet lug. These bayonets have an open back split ring, and they appear to lock onto the front sight base via some fingers below the front sight base. The split open rear ring on the bayonet appears to slide over the front of the gas block - or on the barrel. But, I would need the front sight base to accommodate this type of bayonet. So, I think what I am asking is - how do I find a Chinese front sight base that has the hole for a retainer pin. Where do I find a Chinese gas block with the lug still intact?

I've seen some Russian and German front sights that look close to mine - and I've seen a German gas block close to mine.

You AK guys might know of an outfit that carries what I am locking for. Or, you might make suggestions that would be helpful.

Online - I' ve seen someone wield a blob where the bayonet lug was on the gas block - and then he milled the blob down and manufactured a lug. i was thinking of finding a gas block with the lug - cutting the lug off, and then using set screws - attach the lug to my gas block??? Help me - Someone ??

Any ideas out there? Really could use some technical hel from the AK guys out there that are knowledgeable on Chinese AK's as well as the other variants.

You have an unusual rifle. CJA import, right? Almost all mak-90s are stamped guns. I didn't read the entire article, but I found this page that included some images of a MAK-90 restored and fitted with an underfolding bayonet:

http://www.mouseguns.com/mak90web/mak90.htm

Shandlanos - I've seen this webpage before in my searches. What you see having the bayonet with muzzle break is what I believe is a WASR. I noticed the scope base attached to the receiver. What I am having trouble with is knowing what AK 47 variants share the same parts as the Chinese Norinco MAK's.

Securing pins on the front sight base must match up on the barrels. The gas block retaining pins, and more importantly, the gas exhaust holes in the block must match up with the hole in the barrel.

Thanks for trying. I appreciate your input.

There is an image of a WASR-10. Look further down the page, and there is an image of a MAK-90 with a full wood set, including pistol grip, fitted with an underfolding bayonet. There is a caption above it explaining that it is a restored MAK-90, and a forum and corresponding username are referenced - you might be able to seek out the fellow who restored the rifle and get some pointers.

It's the general consensus of a lot of Chinese AK connoisseurs that many of the Chinese Military AK's had unthreaded barrels. If you're looking for original configuration that's something to consider. I can't help on parts, I'm looking for them too, but as for what to do, the AK forum has a set of posts on their Chinese forum about restoring MAK90's to preban configuration. http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=15

Nathan

Where did you find this "general consensus"?

The only chinese AK's that came into the US without threaded barrels were post ban rifles.

Is the consensus with the idiot on gunbroker that lists every mak he has for sale as being altered by the previous owner? And trying to pass off MAKs as legitimate pre ban rifles?

Even the earliest clayco's and Gsads had threaded barrels.

There is no consensus, only the facts.

And, there are very few FSB's with underfolder hardware left anymore, and when they do show up, expect about a 300 dollar price.

Even bolt on pig stickers go for over 200, if you can find them.

The only viable option is to use a romanian FSB, and to thread the barrel, and then use the proper bayonet for the Romanian FSB.

The end of the ban has dried up about all original chinese/norinco parts, as people have been using them to deban rifles.

Also bear in mind, most wood will also not work with chinese rifles without fitting as they aren't standard with euro pattern stuff, or TAPCO plastic stocks and handgrips.

All the pain in the ass noted above, you still have the same great base to work with, and the changeover is worth it.

IMHO, MAKS debanned will start to approach pre ban prices if done well, using original chinese part, because even they, once considered the dog of the AK class, are no longer importable.

Edited by Ned Beatty

http://www.theakforu...p?f=15&t=156322

Pictures don't lie. That and the fact that Chinese weapons factories were known for changing things up quite a bit. True Chinese parts are available. It might take awhile to find them, and more money to buy them, but the final product will be worth it.

Nathan

Edited by Strikeking