About to buy a Saiga 12, does this part look right?

I am about to trade for this Saiga 12.

post-33594-0-00389100-1306018175_thumb.jpg

post-33594-0-01998200-1306018184_thumb.jpg

post-33594-0-21207800-1306018190_thumb.jpg

post-33594-0-79737000-1306018199_thumb.jpg

The screws & nuts going through the middle of the FCG look "homemade" to me. My other S12 has nice rivets there.

Wouldn't a guy use locknuts or something besides those cheap 10-cent nuts?

The gun is a little rough but I was going to recoat it anyway.

The choke is tack-welded on but I should be able to cut that loose & clean it up real nice.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Edited by VULCANGUNNER

Just my opinion I wouldn't pay more then $400 for the gun looks like everything was done half ass

I understand your skepticism, but nobody sells a Saiga 12 in any condition for under $575 - $600 anymore.

Thanks for the input though.

ok, first off, the choke is welded on because it was one of the ones imported that with the tube removed, falls just under 18". DO NOT CUT THE WELD FREE OR YOU WILL HAVE AN SBS!!!.

second, the bolts can be replaced with proper pins and any aftermarket retainer, or a properly rebent factory spring.

its the FUNCTION of the gun that matters at this point, and the PRICE.

I never liked the external ace block, but the stock is a definate plus.

whats the asking value on the trade?

keep in mind you will need to work on the gun, and CANNOT CUT THE CHOKE LOOSE WITHOUT FIRST PRESSING THE BARREL OFF AND THEN REMOUNTING SOMETHING PERMANENTLY....perhaps a poly choke....that should be long enough when mounted permanently and the barrel pressed back into the front trunion....and yes, I am serious as shit about this. DOCUMENT IT when you do it with photos....

Edited by Ben Vampatella
  • Like 1

ok, first off, the choke is welded on because it was one of the ones imported that with the tube removed, falls just under 18". DO NOT CUT THE WELD FREE OR YOU WILL HAVE AN SBS!!!.

second, the bolts can be replaced with proper pins and any aftermarket retainer, or a properly rebent factory spring.

its the FUNCTION of the gun that matters at this point, and the PRICE.

I never liked the external ace block, but the stock is a definate plus.

whats the asking value on the trade?

keep in mind you will need to work on the gun, and CANNOT CUT THE CHOKE LOOSE WITHOUT FIRST PRESSING THE BARREL OFF AND THEN REMOUNTING SOMETHING PERMANENTLY....perhaps a poly choke....that should be long enough when mounted permanently and the barrel pressed back into the front trunion....and yes, I am serious as shit about this. DOCUMENT IT when you do it with photos....

ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

To hell with all that! I aint looking to get that deep into it.

This dude doesn't even know what he has or how much shit the buyer could get into with it.

I WAS going to trade my mint unfired Thompson / Auto Ordinance 1927A1 for it. To hell with all that!

Thanks a lot man. I would have screwed myself for sure getting that thing.

I just emailed the dude & told him to get bent.

Edited by VULCANGUNNER

talk him down then. its a project gun, and you can leave the choke tube on for now....

you can always eat the shipping both ways (no, you wont have to do a transfer on the way back) and send it to one of the class 3 builders here, and they can do the job prolly for 150 plus the poly choke, and be totally legal....

it depends on the final price.

what is the value on your thompson right now?is it a west hurley NY one? yeh, thats not a trade....maybe if he gave you a few hundred bucks on top of it, it would be a fair swap....not a mint W.H. tompson though....

Edited by Ben Vampatella

to add, if it were a PROPERLY DONE gun, without the barrel length issue, id value it right now about 12-1300....the barrel length issue knocks it down 175, and the trigger group issue knocks it back another 150 bucks (may as well have the gunsmith that does the muzzle replace the trigger group too) BUT that is without any issues. so its about an 800 dollar gun ish....sorta...bad paint blah blah (30 bucks and some hands on time with the oven if your wife doesnt cut your set off for stinking the house up and the oven).

if you can get cash back on some of the work, and there isnt a MAJOR internal issue (ie cycles fine) id go for it with the right sum of money back at you to cover part of the work....

anything is worth while for the right price......id do the thompson plus 4-500 back without blinking....

talk him down then. its a project gun, and you can leave the choke tube on for now....

you can always eat the shipping both ways (no, you wont have to do a transfer on the way back) and send it to one of the class 3 builders here, and they can do the job prolly for 150 plus the poly choke, and be totally legal....

it depends on the final price.

what is the value on your thompson right now?is it a west hurley NY one? yeh, thats not a trade....maybe if he gave you a few hundred bucks on top of it, it would be a fair swap....not a mint W.H. tompson though....

Yeah, it's a mint W.H. Thompson.

And yes I agree I would be getting screwed. Deal is off.

Here it is: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230238150

It's only up to $656 (for good reason I suspect)

PLUS the dude wanted me to send him the Thompson FIRST so he could check it out and THEN send me his beat up Saiga 12!

I sent him all the pics that I have posted here of my Thompson & he still thinks it might be junk. Screw that dude.

Thanks for the save. That's why I asked the question on this forum.

fuck that.

sorry if you are a memeber here, seller....those are the issues and approx price lines you are looking at to value your gun in the high end of the market....IF done right and legally.

keep looking.

sorry to both of you.

going back to the beginnings of this forum, and im not the one who would say it first, but it holds true

....the only stupid question is the one that you do not ask.

asking that one helped BOTH of you out....

dont get me wrong, the shotgun isnt trashed or a piece of shit. it just needs some love. let a builder get it for the right price, or a basement gunsmith. for the average shooter/owner, its a bit of work to get it fully up to snuff and looking pretty....

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Here it is: http://www.gunbroker...?Item=230238150

PLUS the dude wanted me to send him the Thompson FIRST so he could check it out and THEN send me his beat up Saiga 12!

I sent him all the pics that I have posted here of my Thompson & he still thinks it might be junk. Screw that dude.

Gooooood call!! I'm taking my Thompson to a local gun show tomorrow morning and looking to get ~$1,100 out of it. That's losing my ass.. The Kahrs are around $850 (dealer cost) and, while supposedly higher quality, are not really 'Thompsons' anymore. IMO, the fact that it's a W.H. is a selling point. Not to mention the fact that the choke on that thing was tacked on. I get the barrel length deal, but that's some hillbilly shit. I'd say wait 'till the ATF b.s. calms down for another one. I doubt the price is ever coming back down where it was last year, but you'll be kicking yourself later if you dump a ~$1,000 gun for a used Saiga.

Here it is: http://www.gunbroker...?Item=230238150

Gooooood call!! I'm taking my Thompson to a local gun show tomorrow morning and looking to get ~$1,100 out of it. That's losing my ass.. The Kahrs are around $850 (dealer cost) and, while supposedly higher quality, are not really 'Thompsons' anymore. IMO, the fact that it's a W.H. is a selling point. Not to mention the fact that the choke on that thing was tacked on. I get the barrel length deal, but that's some hillbilly shit. I'd say wait 'till the ATF b.s. calms down for another one. I doubt the price is ever coming back down where it was last year, but you'll be kicking yourself later if you dump a ~$1,000 gun for a used Saiga.

Yeah, piss on that guy with his beat up Saiga 12.

He probably had the guy down at the local gas station tack weld the choke & took a couple of screws out of his screen door to hold the FCG together. Jethro T. Neckbone Special.

Good luck with your Thompson sale tomorrow. I took mine to one of these podunk Kansas gun shows recently. The piano player stopped when I walked in with that thing. Everybody wanted to look at it but nobody had any money. The was a guy there selling ARs for like $2000 thinking he was king shit. Kansas has the weakest gun shows I have ever seen. I have been to parties where there were nicer guns.

actually, when that batch came in country, the ATF measured out the barrels to 17.8 inches or some shit, and RAAC had a local come in and tack weld the stuff where they sat in order to have the ATF release them for sale.

I see it ended right about where i valued it, at 775

Edited by Ben Vampatella