Bullet Guide - Needs To Be Ground?

I am working on my first conversion. I have a 7.62x39 and I verified ahead of time that I needed the flat bullet guide.

So, I am now trying to install it and it will not seat. It still looks like flat is right but the bullet guide is too wide and won't lie flat where it is supposed to.

Is it common to have to grind them down a bit to make them fit? Just want to check before I screw something up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on my first conversion. I have a 7.62x39 and I verified ahead of time that I needed the flat bullet guide.

So, I am now trying to install it and it will not seat. It still looks like flat is right but the bullet guide is too wide and won't lie flat where it is supposed to.

Is it common to have to grind them down a bit to make them fit? Just want to check before I screw something up.

After you've tried in all directions, and it still won't fit, grind or file it down. It doesn't have to fit like a glove....after all, it merely serves to cause the tip of the bullet to rise sufficient to enter the chamber. Good luck Boss!

• 1 month later...

not to be an a hole but are you sure that yours is flat ? because mine fit nice and snug. That dosent mean I didnt f it up by breaking my tap bit in the gun. If it is flat and just dosent fit snug I dont see why it should be a problem just be carefull not to take too much off or the mag wont catch.

• 3 weeks later...

The bullet guides I recieved for my two Saiga 7.62 rifles both need touched slightly with a grinder/dremel to lay down flat in the trunion, that is all that held me off of installing all my bullet guides last night.

The bullet guides I recieved for my two Saiga 7.62 rifles both need touched slightly with a grinder/dremel to lay down flat in the trunion, that is all that held me off of installing all my bullet guides last night.

I have come to expect to dress up each and every bullet guide. And while the Dremel is handy, it's relatively slow (or conversely, removes too much too quickly due to its high speeds) much good work can be done with flat files, belt sanders and so forth. And in many cases, you can make your own that will serve just as well, and cost a good bit less.