Got both of our Saiga .223's set up for myself and my wife. Our most recent additions to the zombie hoard invasion completes the collection.

Her set up is the lower with the high power scope, and mine is the upper with the red dot. Now if the SHTF we can hold the zombies off.

Next up is getting a couple of spare bolts and bolt carrier assemblies.

post-33094-0-06717400-1306164495_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Got both of our Saiga .223's set up for myself and my wife. Our most recent additions to the zombie hoard invasion completes the collection.

Her set up is the lower with the high power scope, and mine is the upper with the red dot. Now if the SHTF we can hold the zombies off.

Next up is getting a couple of spare bolts and bolt carrier assemblies.

Better get some highcap mags, Bullet guides, and pistolgrip conversions if you wanna successfully hold them "Zombies" off... :rolleyes:

Edited by RoughRider666

Better get some highcap mags, Bullet guides, and pistolgrip conversions if you wanna successfully hold them "Zombies" off... :rolleyes:

Got the high surefires so no need for bullet guides, and you know when your empty with out the dreaded pull "click" time to reload, since those all have last round bolt open feature. The plus side is I don't have to monkey with making mags work and less probability of magazine failure when most needed to save my bacon. I'll just spend the extra money for the surefires because they give me peace of mind.

No need for pistol grip conversions since the grip is built into the Saiganov stock. Also reducing my chance of a failure from messing with the trigger by moving it forward.

I know I'm in the minority, but after having owned both the old school AK and the Saiga I have found I actually prefer the Saiga ergonomics better. The Saiga stock hits just about where I used to keep my adjustable stock set on my M4, and that worked great for long shot and close quarters. Got no trouble with shoulding it quickly for tactical use and the pad gives me perfect cheek weld every time. If the red dot fails, I pop it off and flip the pad out of the way to use iron sights. Takes like 2.8 seconds to make the change. It's like the swiss army knife of the AK variant.

I see no need to convert either, liberty. Stock Saiga ergos suit me just fine.

It is rumored, however, that bullets from an unconverted Saiga will bounce off zombies. Would hate to find that out at a bad time ;)

It is rumored, however, that bullets from an unconverted Saiga will bounce off zombies. Would hate to find that out at a bad time ;)

Good ergonomics or not, the trigger still sucks and theres nothing you can do about it unless you convert...

• Like 1

No need for pistol grip conversions since the grip is built into the Saiganov stock.

Not so. You will greatly increase her ability to handle the weapon and fatigue less quickly by converting and moving the center of mass 3-4 inches closer to her body. My guess is that she's already huffing and puffing by toting around that large scope, side mount, and bipod; that is, unless she's just shooting the rifle from the bench, which is a pretty big waste of time for the great majority of defensive purposes. She is being ill-prepared to fight if that's what she's doing.

Also reducing my chance of a failure from messing with the trigger by moving it forward.

This doesn't make any sense. Putting the gun back to its intended configuration does not increase the chance of failure.

• Like 2

No need for pistol grip conversions since the grip is built into the Saiganov stock.

Not so. You will greatly increase her ability to handle the weapon and fatigue less quickly by converting and moving the center of mass 3-4 inches closer to her body. My guess is that she's already huffing and puffing by toting around that large scope, side mount, and bipod; that is, unless she's just shooting the rifle from the bench, which is a pretty big waste of time for the great majority of defensive purposes. She is being ill-prepared to fight if that's what she's doing.

Also reducing my chance of a failure from messing with the trigger by moving it forward.

This doesn't make any sense. Putting the gun back to its intended configuration does not increase the chance of failure.

Not so. Neither of needs to be on biggest looser. We actually work out. So the weight being moved by a few inches doesn't make much difference.

What increases the chance for failure is working on something that does not need to be worked on. Harley Davidson owners are a good example. Most guys that keep the bike in factory configuration have less trouble with the engine. Guys that tinker and customize their motors a lot tend to sit on the side of the road waiting for a tow more often than those that kept the bike in more of a stock condition.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good ergonomics or not, the trigger still sucks and theres nothing you can do about it unless you convert...

Trigger on both o ours are pretty good for standard G.I. type triggers. Not any worse the my M4 (M-16) service rifle.

Edited by liberty -r- death

If the trigger's that important to you, go for it. I can adapt. All I ask is a consistent, not gritty pull of less than 6 lbs. If it has that, I can get used to it.

Not only DOES the Saiga have that, all four of my Saigas are virtually identical in the trigger dept. That's right; the triggers are consistent shot-to-shot AND gun-to-gun. I think that's kinda cool and it's definitely a plus when you're not sure which gun will be closest when the SHTF.

But there's no issue here. Some folks feel they need a Mercedes or a BMW; I'm happy with a Focus. Some folks fly a Beechcraft; I'm happy with a Piper. Some have custom guns built to their specifications; I'm happy with an off-the-shelf Remington, TC, or....Saiga. It's not that these things aren't 'better' than what I'm content with, it's just that I don't need them and therefore won't sacrifice for them. Whatever floats yer boat.

But liberty IS right. Fixing things that aren't broken is asking for trouble.

Edited by 555JM

Not so. Neither of needs to be on biggest looser. We actually work out. So the weight being moved by a few inches doesn't make much difference.

Those few inches make a big difference. I know from experience that women AND men will benefit greatly from the increased wieldiness of the converted weapon. It's also obvious that, unless your wife is an outstanding physical specimen for a woman, that that rifle - in that configuration, with all that added weight - will be useful to her only as a bench rest toy. Which is fine, if that's what you want; but if you want a fighting weapon, something else is in order.

Anyhow, good luck with your new rifles.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Those few inches make a big difference. I know from experience that women AND men will benefit greatly from the increased wieldiness of the converted weapon. It's also obvious that, unless your wife is an outstanding physical specimen for a woman, that that rifle - in that configuration, with all that added weight - will be useful to her only as a bench rest toy. Which is fine, if that's what you want; but if you want a fighting weapon, something else is in order.

Anyhow, good luck with your new rifles.

O.K. I have to bite.

Not trying to pick a fight or be insulting. What is your experience? Are you a combat veteran? Have you got much experience having the enemy taking shots at you?

I can tell you from my own combat experience that most shots are taken from as much cover as you can muster, and that the weapon will be anchored as much as possible if ti's possible to steady a shot. Bi-pod, door frame, pile o debris, or dead body. Most semi auto rifle fire is steady and controlled. The sling actually bears most of the weight and is adjusted to allow the weapon to be swung up into position to take the shots needed. Just like the weapons I have actually used in serving the US military.

My wife's weapon is a combat weapon in many senses. I just don't think you and I think about in the same way, which is fine. She has her scope for longer range shots, and with the flip of the lever the scope can be dropped off to use iron sites for close quarters if needed. She also has he sidearm semi auto and revolver, as well as several shotguns available. The Saiga is just one of many tools in the tool kit.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Personaly, I find it much easier to swap mags when the fire group is moved forward, allows me to hold the weapons wieght with my arm, with far less strain on the wrist. (Note how the pistol grip has you supporting the guns mass using larger muscel groups such as the bicept and pectorals) Also it puts your hand closer to the mag release shaving precious time off mag swaps. However I don't find the stock trigger all that repulsive either.

As far as the "we acutaly work out " comment...take a 8lb sledge, hold it by the far end of the handle, how many curls can you get? Now grab it right under the head...did you get alot more? Ofcourse, you did, because you changed the fulcrum. No matter what your physical condition, you'll always preform longer with lower resistance, thats phyics, not phyical fitness.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Hey, just curious what kind of side rail system you use to mount your optics? And does if you removed the optics, does the rail interfere with use of the iron sights, what kind of sight picture do you have, if not?

The site rails are UTG with flip lever release. The rail blocks the iron sites if you remove the optic, so I just keep the optic attached to the rail. I just flip the lever and the optic and rail slide right off.