Drilling out welds on a 308

You only need to drill through the head of the rivet, maybe 1/8". Use a smaller bit than the rivet, then use a hammer and punch to crack the head off the rivet.

Don't worry about hurting the steel, that technique is safe to use on aircraft-grade aluminum half the thickness of your receiver.

And use oil on the drill bits...

You need to use cobalt steel drill bits since those ruskie rivets are hard and will wear out standard bits quick. Went thru a couple myself finding that out.

On the spot welds I didn't drill them out, I used the dremel with a sanding wheel (a file would work too, just take longer) to grind down the Klinton plate over the spot welds until it was thin enough to bend and break off, then filed down any boogers left over from the spot welds flush with the receiver. That way you don't leave extra holes in the receiver where the spot welds were.

Repainted the bottom with black stove paint.

I ended up grinding the plate around the welds down. Broke the plate off, then just ground down the rest of the weld.

what really sucked was the trigger guard I got from css didn't match the existing holes. Had to snowman the fwd most hole and file it to a slot.

I used a grinder. The 1st weld was easy to drill out for some reason, but the second weld wasn't having it! Grind it until you can pry the plate up to break it off, I then used a precision hand file to slowly file off the remaining weld flush to the receiver. Good luck!

I ended up grinding the plate around the welds down. Broke the plate off, then just ground down the rest of the weld.

what really sucked was the trigger guard I got from css didn't match the existing holes. Had to snowman the fwd most hole and file it to a slot.

You're supposed to drill a new hole in the front for that trigger guard...

You're supposed to drill a new hole in the front for that trigger guard...

+1 :unsure:

How'd the slot work out for you?