update on kimber solo and ? about .308 ver21

Hey there! I purchased a kimber and the wife didn't like it so we put it up for bids. It wet up to 1025 and a few days before the auction ended, my post about it here was deleted due to a violation and I ended the auction after firing the weapon. It failed on me several times and after giving it a good cleaning, the lugs were hammered all to hell. Peening or whatever. I apologized to the bidders and took the auction down. Sent the pistol back with a missing screw in the grip. The lugs were hammered. Finish of the aluminum lower was terrible. It looked like the gunmetal gray czech pistols from the cold war but was about as durable as cheap spray paint on an aluminum bat. I was shooting golden saber as per directions. Kimber emailed me a call tag to ship it back to them. It's in NY state right now. It will be interesting to see what they do about it. After if failed on me, I went on line and found others had videos and photos along with stories about these things. Some good, a lot of bad.

Considerable wear from springs on the inside of the lower receiver. Also had extreme wear on the mag well where the steel mag hit the SOFT aluminum. Lugs on the upper and the barrel were worn like it had been in ww2 for months. Lower finish was real pussy. It needed to be clean or it was not reliable. Would not allow me to load a full 6 round magazine by pulling the slide back. Had to lock the slide, insert mag and then release to load. Trigger sucked, felt worse than a glock with the ny trigger.

It was very easy to aim. Felt lucky. Great ergonomics. Good weight to it, "sign of reliability:)!" Looked pretty.

For 600 bucks, I might keep it after I get it back. I took a video of the problems I have had with it and will post them soon.

On another note. What would you use to break in a VER.21 .308 saiga? I assume mil spec ammo would probably run better than commercial .308? What do you shoot in your saiga .308? Thansk!

S.308-ver.21, it doesn't need any breaking in.

Clean it, lube it and shoot the fuck out of it with whatever ammo it likes, repeat as often as possible.

As already stated, it'll eat anything, find out what tickles it's tummy.

I've shot all sorts of commercial ammo, Winchester Super X 150gr & 180gr Power Point

Remington 150gr Cor-Lokt, Federal Gold Medal match grade and more.

Mine prefers 150gr FMJ and HP, heavier bullets and SP tended to open up.

Mine produces good groups with the plain'ol Tula, steel cased/poly coated, 150gr, FMJ... Cool, cheap date nothing fancy needed for this bitch.

These were done with'er scoped with a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 on a TWS Dog Leg rail.

vortex1-1.jpg

100 yards from the bench, on elbows, no bags, firing just as fast as I could get the sights on back on target.

563935169_1999427686_0.jpg

150 yards, same way.

563934953_1999426913_0.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys! thanks for all your help! nice group chile! I have a one year old daughter so its hard to get out. i will have a few boxes of each to test out!

that kimber was weird. i took it out one last time and it misfired, ftf etc. i took it off auction. called kimber and they picked it up UPS. they called me last week to let me know they will send me a new one to my FFL of choice. 600 bucks turned into a new kimber!

looking at an UZI that may be a real Group industries, just need to know how to find out. Uzitalk had some info on serials.

wish i could be on the forums more often. you guys are great!

thanks

nick