So after doing my best not to make out with my rifle this morning (still in love 24 hours later), I decided it would be best to read the owners manual (I rarely do this with anything) which turned out to be a good idea. This rifle is unlike any that I've ever owned. I've broken it down and put it back together as well as lubed up most of the major areas of concern. By the looks of the manual I thought there'd be a million little parts but it wasn't to bad, no more then any of my ARs for the most part. I stole an optic off of one of my other rifles and took it for a dry run. All I can say is WOW! I think I just found the ultimate CQB weapon. As I moved through the house I was able to open doors with ease while still having the weapon up and ready. I could do full turns in tight places with the muzzle up that couldn't be done with any AR or FAL that I own. The balance is so good that running it one handed for an extended amount of time is not just doable but enjoyable.

It'd been awhile since I'd had my hands on an RFB and I've been a little concerned about the amount of plastic on the gun. I'm happy to report that it's not any more then you'd find on any AR-15. Kel-Tec must have finally realized after the PLR-16/22 and the SU-16 that an all plastic gun is no good if you want to butt stroke someone in the face, this thing is solid. Some folks are a little scared by the price but I can honestly say that for a good quality FAL you'll be blowing close to (if not more) the same amount. A sling is shipped with the rifle (rare) and is pretty nice, it's a two point which is what I run on all my rifles.

Reliability-Don't know a damn thing about it yet and probably won't until have a few thousand rounds through it. I will say this the manual states that it was meant to run crappy ball ammo. I don't look at this as an AK but I do expect it to have the same reliability as an AR, you take care of it and it will take care of you.

More later and pics to follow when I get the optic.

I paid $1499.00.

I think it may be a minute for a "true" range report. The optic I wanna get is going to take a minute to arrive so I'm probably just going to throw an RMR on there in the mean time.

I paid $1499.00.

I think it may be a minute for a "true" range report. The optic I wanna get is going to take a minute to arrive so I'm probably just going to throw an RMR on there in the mean time.

What optic did you decide to go with ?

Thanks,

Edited by yakdung

What optic did you decide to go with ?

Thanks,

IOR Valdada 1.5-8x26 35mm http://www.valdada.com/product/a2655086-d6e1-4df9-ba34-42428d8b0c8b.aspx

Not sure if I'm going to go with there CQB-BDC Reticule or there M-SeriesCQB reticule. http://www.valdada.com/reticules.aspx

I have there 1.1-4x26 30mm scope with M-series CQB reticule and love it. The glass is excellent and it's a REALLY tough scope, possibly the best one I own. The price they have listed is a little steep compared to what I've been able to find them for. There customer service is also excellent.

Like anything I touch weapon wise, I may change my mind. The only other setup that I would consider would be a trijicon scope (not an ACOG) with an RMR piggybacked to it.

Yarp, where'd you get it for 1499? Did you have a reputable gun dealer order it and charge you a minimum fee on top? or did you find it in store at that price?

Gunbroker. I was just lucky that the dealer was in my state.

The patience game with me has gotten better over the years, I think the RFB came out a couple years ago? I've waited this long for the right time to buy. I also made a great friend by purchasing from this dealer, he is simply the best one I've ever met.

Edited by YARP

Those adds are just teasers Yakdung. If you find one at that price BUY IT, even if you don't like the RFB. Most are still going for $1800.00 and up.

I agree my friend. I just wish George Kellgren would crank more of these out so he could meet the demand.

Yakdung

Corbin-I'm thinking sometime after the fourth of July I'll be hittin the pit. Your more then welcome to burn through a bunch of mags!

Yakdung-Kel-Tecs biggest problem seems to be in there production lines, at the same time they can keep there prices up cause they haven't flooded the market.

Happy to report I'm still in love! I took the RFB out to "break it in" this weekend. No FTF, FTE of any sort but then again I only put 100rds through her. For an optic I just threw an RMR on top, not what I'll be using in the long run but it did the trick. With a 8 MOA dot the accuracy at 100m was an average of 2" with one 5 shot group sitting at just over 1". I used some crappy ammo for most of the "testing" but did burn through 20rds of match grade stuff (that was the 1" group). All in all I put three different kinds of ammo through it and it handled it well.

The recoil is rather mild when compared to most 308 MBRs due to it's gas system. It does need to be played around with a bit though in order to get the right setting for it to function reliably. More later and pics when I can hook up with a camera.

• 1 month later...

Kel-Tec must have finally realized after the PLR-16/22 and the SU-16 that an all plastic gun is no good if you want to butt stroke someone in the face.

I resemble that remark>:lolol:, I have an SU-16 Alpha and I bought a Charlie stock to put on it so it would shoot folded. I wouldn't hesitate to smash some one with either stock. I don't think you could hit them hard enough to hurt the weapon. Have you seen the torture test the guy did on you tube did with one? He fired it rapid fire with a 30 rnd mag threw it straight into a stream with Ice in it ( snow was ever where) steam rose for a minute or two. He retrieved it Shook the water out, changed mags and rapid fired 30 rnds. No jams or any other problems. I am not sure an AR would do that. :super:

I would like an RFB also but I have to recover from my S-12 , parts, and 1500 rnds of 12 ga ammo purchase in the last four weeks. I keep my Rossi Ranch Hand .45LC beside my bed now.

Edited by Palidin