Which AK 47 to purchase..

I have ordered a Polish 60 Milled AK 47 on lay away. I know its from Century/ATM but heard they are good guns.. Now I am being offered a Milled Polish 60 AK 47 that they are telling me is definitley from POLAND,not Century/ATM.. Any one have any thing to say or add about this?? Its a lay away as well. Its not that I can afford 2 guns,let alone one. I had been planning on building a Saiga 7.62 X 39,,It would match my Saiga 12.. Sorry ,but my excuse is I,m a newbie..

Could you explain the situation with a little more detail? Is the initial retailer that you ordered the Century AK offering you the Polish INSTEAD or ADDITIONAL? If they are offering it as "instead", then go with the Polish build. Century tends to be hit and miss, and there are lots of people that look for the genuine Polish (or whatever country they happen to be) gun from the manufacturer themselves.

Lets just say this. Wouldn't you rather have the actual gun rather than someone's attempt to replicate it?

If it is genuinely an all-Polish gun, it would almost have to be a pre-91 import. It's hard to imagine it being comparably priced with a new Century milled rifle. If it's partly Polish, like a converted Polish sporter rifle or parts kit build, I'd ask what parts are Polish and specifically look for a Polish barrel and receiver. As I recall, the Century gun uses American parts for both and those, particularly the barrels, have left me underwhelmed.

Edited by DrThunder88

They are two different independent dealers on auction. The other is being offered on layaway,as well. Its close to same price as the Century version which I have committed to purchase. They both come with 3, 30rd mags and a bayonet,cleaning kit etc.. I have asked a few times,and get the same answer ,that the complete rifle came from Poland. Yes I,d rather have it, if indeed its authentic.. Its just difficult for me to comprehend the the answer..Both sellers are FFL dealers. I think my seller for the Century would prob allow me to pay his listing fees and purchase the other,,but it just doesnt feel right.. And yes, I,ve found out that the Century barrels are prob not chrome lined.. Only the accessories used are polish,including the bolt, sights etc.

Edited by Mokanracer

Do what you wish then, just make sure you thoroughly inspect the rifle you choose before you purchase. Check for any canting, rough edges, etc. Century's are known for such issues, so be on the lookout.

Do what you wish then, just make sure you thoroughly inspect the rifle you choose before you purchase. Check for any canting, rough edges, etc. Century's are known for such issues, so be on the lookout.

Thanks for the reply,, It,s not possible for me to inspect either gun,as they are both on auction.,so I get to see pics. The Polish rifle has the same "baklite" hand grip as does the Century, I,ve requested pics of the rcvr and barrel, so I can postive ID the Polish 60. I doubt that ,they will be sent, which is good as it will save me a bunch of money.. Thanks to all for the help/advice..

So this is off topic but, Your avatar begs the question....Is that car next to the Trailer your "Track-only" (not street legal, therefore requiring a trailer) car, or is it a "Trailer Queen" ????

If it is a "Trailer Queen", that explains why you are buying something that is NOT a Saiga 7.62x39!!! :haha:

So this is off topic but, Your avatar begs the question....Is that car next to the Trailer your "Track-only" (not street legal, therefore requiring a trailer) car, or is it a "Trailer Queen" ????

If it is a "Trailer Queen", that explains why you are buying something that is NOT a Saiga 7.62x39!!! :haha:

HARDLY NOT A TRAILER QUEEN GUY LOL Even tho its street legal,It has a 742 Horse 406 and another 350 avail on the juice. I drove it to town last year to a car show for grins, as its tagged and insured. I got about 2 miles to the gallon, which surprised me. I trailer it to the drags, 80 miles one way.. I have my tools,fuel,generator,compressor etc in the trailer. I compete in the Sportsman class ,and or Bracket Gamblers. Why you ask, you interested in buying?? I just converted my Saiga 12, thats why I,m here.. Hope I have satisfied your urge to mock me in my AK purchase :)022.gif

• Like 2

Have a milled Vector built polish. I'm pleased, yet underfolder, don't like shoulder fit personally. Oh, take it you like to drag. Was at Topeka/Heartland event today, and going back tomorrow. Was raised a bit north of GreatBend and still have family around there. Dad took me regular to strip out there. :smoke: Crap, getting old it's been 30 years since Great Bend strip. :cryss: Crossed over to Mo. strip when living at Pittsburg or Parsons.

Edited by Ruffian72

HARDLY NOT A TRAILER QUEEN GUY LOL Even tho its street legal,It has a 742 Horse 406 and another 350 avail on the juice. I drove it to town last year to a car show for grins, as its tagged and insured. I got about 2 miles to the gallon, which surprised me. I trailer it to the drags, 80 miles one way.. I have my tools,fuel,generator,compressor etc in the trailer. I compete in the Sportsman class ,and or Bracket Gamblers. Why you ask, you interested in buying?? I just converted my Saiga 12, thats why I,m here.. Hope I have satisfied your urge to mock me in my AK purchase :)022.gif

He's just pulling your chain. Little Sat night humor. :lolol::smoke:

Oh I got what he was doing :) I race at Mokan, which is in Asbury,Mo just beyound Pittsburg. Did you attend the NHRA Nats in Topeka?

Oh I got what he was doing :) I race at Mokan, which is in Asbury,Mo just beyound Pittsburg. Did you attend the NHRA Nats in Topeka?

Yes on the NHRA, Got the national guard sponsored event this weekend. Went to the Mokan a couple times last summer.

It's easy enough to tell based on import markings if its legit or not- and if it is then you should jump on it in a heartbeat if it's priced like a century build.

Nice car btw

Edited by volkov

It's easy enough to tell based on import markings if its legit or not- and if it is then you should jump on it in a heartbeat if it's priced like a century build.

"""""Thanks for the complment on my 62 Race Car.. Got a couple more pics of it in my Gallery. On the AK,I have asked the seller to shoot me a couple pics of the recvr and barrel markings..If its there, I cert will buy it, thx again ,,Roger

Nice car btw

Edited by Mokanracer

Well got a couple other experts involved,even tho, I never received the requested pics of the rcvr and barrel. It,s a Century..Polish 60..Had it been straight from Poland, chances are good that it would have been illegal. Soo saving up for my Saiga Rifle as my next project.. Thanks,,,,

Well got a couple other experts involved,even tho, I never received the requested pics of the rcvr and barrel. It,s a Century..Polish 60..Had it been straight from Poland, chances are good that it would have been illegal. Soo saving up for my Saiga Rifle as my next project.. Thanks,,,,

Very good idea. I could have told you from the beginning to go Saiga. You wouldn't regret it. Converting it was one of the best decisions I have made in a while, made me learn what every tiny piece does and how to take it out and put it in. You also get a true russian AK receiver, which is nearly unbeatable.

Yes, but there is only one thing better than a Saiga...another Saiga in another caliber!

Oh I look forward in building my Saiga AK 7.62..Gonna make it match my 12..

Personally, I would lose the SAW grip and T6 stock for the 7.62 rifle and get the warsaw stock and molot style grip, but that's just me :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ordered my Saiga AK 7.62 X 39 yesterday.. I had to paid $350.00.. Had no say in ordering one with dimples. Is the conversion procedure the same as the Saiga 12? Thanks for any input..

I haven't seen a Saiga without dimples since 2000, so don't worry about that. The conversion process is exactly the same, because all you are doing is taking off the excess plate at the bottom that covers the true holes. 350 is a pretty good price :super:

Well I ordered my Saiga AK 7.62 X 39 yesterday.. I had to paid $350.00.. Had no say in ordering one with dimples. Is the conversion procedure the same as the Saiga 12? Thanks for any input..

I haven't seen a Saiga without dimples since 2000, so don't worry about that. The conversion process is exactly the same, because all you are doing is taking off the excess plate at the bottom that covers the true holes. 350 is a pretty good price :super:

Ahh ,ok,,Thats good to know,,I have been looking for conversion instructions/info and you have answered those concerns for me,Thanks ,once again. I appreciate your response,, Edited by Mokanracer