done....thanks to everybody.

i really appreciate all the great help from this site in completing this conversion.....past threads, questions i've asked recently, and so on. i really appreciate nalioth's help as well. i've been going back and forth for a long time about whether or not to try my hand at a conversion, and have been pensive about it. nalioth's posts across the internet, and his help on the phone were invaluable. some notes that may be helpful to others in regard to my experiences:

-drilling out rivets is not as easy as it looks on youtube, but is still the best way to deal with them i think.

-probably no conversion is exactly the same, so if you've never done one, and find yourself running into problems that the video tutorials don't cover or encounter, just be patient, use your brain, and you'll find a solution. the end product is what counts. and ask questions on the forum:)

-really watch the length of the screw you use to install your trigger guard. i had to file mine down twice, and i don't think the final length was more than 1/4 of an inch. any more and you will have issues with your trigger having its full range of motion and functioning properly.

-i re-used the original retaining spring. it was very satisfying to make that work...and it does work well; loads of tension on it. there is a link to a couple of great tutorials. maybe somebody has them more handy than i do and can re-post them here.

what a fun project and so satisfying. mine is nothing extraordinary, but it feels great and looks good:

-k-var stock and pistol grip.

-bullet guide from dinzag

-arsenal trigger group from k-var

-screws and such from home depot.

total cost to me after the gun, just about $145.

the only other change i intend to make any time soon is to add a UTG quad rail so i can mount my primary arms red dot.

thanks again everybody.

post-34265-0-20891900-1308964360_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good job man. I often thought, if this forum wasnt here, there would be no way my first ak project would have gone this well. Its a really incredible thing, to have this kind of info at our fingertips. And not just book info, practical info of other peoples successes and failures. I would have never tried to thread my barrel or even convert my rifle, PG conversion or mag conversion, without being able to talk to someone who has done it before. And really I dont 'know'anyone who even has an ak, let alone who has converted a saiga. Heres mine, nothing flashy, but a great rifle none the less. I think is less of a project now and more of an addiction, I may never be finished.

post-31894-0-56010500-1309019061_thumb.jpg

I am a very mechanically inclined person, but having the help and information from this sight just makes it so much easier if you get stuck or your not sure about something. There are no stupid questions here because questions keep you from making mistakes. WELCOME to the addiction and it is an addiction every time you look at it you wonder what parts would look and feel like on each section of the rifle because there are so many options. Remember boomsick form follows function so flashy is not the ak way. I am not saying it is not doable or even successful just this was built to be a simple, rugged, and reliable rifle. That being said when are you going to put some vent holes in that handguard.

I am a very mechanically inclined person, but having the help and information from this sight just makes it so much easier if you get stuck or your not sure about something. There are no stupid questions here because questions keep you from making mistakes. WELCOME to the addiction and it is an addiction every time you look at it you wonder what parts would look and feel like on each section of the rifle because there are so many options. Remember boomsick form follows function so flashy is not the ak way. I am not saying it is not doable or even successful just this was built to be a simple, rugged, and reliable rifle. That being said when are you going to put some vent holes in that handguard.

Good question. I definitely gave vent holes some thought. I think they look bad ass from those I've seen here, but my friend claims he can get me a Midwest industries quad rail for nothing, and since I want to mount my red dot, I think I'll probably be taking that offer.

I had thought about rails too but I wanted something that was quickly detachable in case the red dot fails and I need to switch back to irons. The quick detach side mount will probably be the route I go.

Like a kalinka mount on the left side of the reciever?

exactly or the utg 5th gen quick detach, I would like something low profile but that is going to be spending some dollars to get something that will produce a good cheek weld and not a damn chin weld but that is a ways down the road for me, still practicing with my irons first.

exactly or the utg 5th gen quick detach, I would like something low profile but that is going to be spending some dollars to get something that will produce a good cheek weld and not a damn chin weld but that is a ways down the road for me, still practicing with my irons first.

Many here will poo-poo and bad mouth the UTG 5th gen quick detachable sight mount, but I have one and think it's just fine.

I dont see any problem with it but truthfully for 15 bucks more the kalinka is not a bad deal I may get one of both and put a 4x scope on one and 1x or 2x red dot on the other. Any problems with holding zero on the utg, the only reason I ask is because of the quick detach system and how well it holds up to the stresses of the x39 recoil.

Edited by dashowdy

Im with you howdy, Id rather it be 100% dependable than use many electronics that can fail. I am still practicing with my iron sights before I get into optics, and when I do they will have to be on some sort of quick release. As far as vent holes, Im probably going to wait until I have the money and get an SGM forearm, which I feel is superior to the factory one, but its like 75 dollars. As flashy as my rifle will ever get is some cerakote(someday) and maybe the pistol laser that I already have.

Hey vindex, if there is one suggestion that I could make to you, its get a hogue grip. You can get them for less than 30dollars everywhere(alot of places cheaper), and it really gives you a nice big piece of rubber to hold on to. They have a hollow inside and come with the shorter screw that it needs to be mounted. Other than that, nice job man.

I think I may actually get the 3 piece rail set from CSS and add a side rail to my galil and one to the stock guard and that way I can switch my led light over from both if I want. as far as optics I would love to have two rails so I could switch if say I were hunting and was at a distance where it would be advantageous to have a 1x instead of a 4x for a bigger sight picture or vice versa. Truthfully though a 2x red dot would be good for a good distance but then again so would irons if you practice with them right. My only complaint with the galil handguard is just the length and when that barrel gets hot after a couple of mags the last thing you wanna do is grab it. After seeing yours on there I really think it still fits the rifle very well and only needs a little better venting, The sgm is nice to though and with your parts count would be perfect.

Yea, one more US part wouldnt hurt. I have 3 in the trigger group, and two more in the pistol grip and buttstock. And one more that cancels itself out with the flash hider. So, Im legal to use the foriegn mags, but one more will be a good thing. I dont think it will be too long before I get the SGM, but then again bills, food, daipers and gas come first, damn it. When I get the sgm, I may vent my factory one and sell it for cheap.

• 6 months later...

i don't remember the number of the screw....i'll check. as for the length, unfortunately i had to achieve success in that regard by trial and error. my trigger would not reset reliably after initial installation due to the screw being too long. i had to dis and reassemble like 3 times before i had dremelled the length sufficiently to get an unhindered reset. there is essentially no screw left above the nut, and i had to file the nut as well in a couple of locations because of additional trigger reset issues. all is well now.