A slight Ace folder wobble

Ace folding stocks always seem to have good reviews, but I'd give mine four stars because it's got a little play in it. Specifically the wobble feels like it's in the hinge, like it needs a bigger hinge pin or something. Most of the wobble is up and down and it's only a tiny amount, like a half mm or so but enough to be noticeable when amplified by the lever arm of the stock. I have the non-pushbotton model and it's been doing this since I first got it. Mine is attached to a Saiga .223 at the moment.

Is this normal and what can/should I do about it? I kind of want to take it apart and look in it...

• 4 weeks later...

Ace folding stocks always seem to have good reviews, but I'd give mine four stars because it's got a little play in it. Specifically the wobble feels like it's in the hinge, like it needs a bigger hinge pin or something. Most of the wobble is up and down and it's only a tiny amount, like a half mm or so but enough to be noticeable when amplified by the lever arm of the stock. I have the non-pushbotton model and it's been doing this since I first got it. Mine is attached to a Saiga .223 at the moment.

Is this normal and what can/should I do about it? I kind of want to take it apart and look in it...

I had the same issue with one a few years back. I even emailed ACE about it but they where pretty slow in their response and really did not offer to fix it.. What I ended up doing was putting layer or 2 of black duct tape cut very thin (black so you can not see it when the stock is folded) on the inside of the hinge to act as a shim. It worked very well to take out the wobble. I do not have the SGL20 or the stock anymore but I do not remember ever replacing the tape.

How long ago did you purchase it? The newer models have less wiggle than the older ones, but they all have some minor wiggle.

How long ago did you purchase it? The newer models have less wiggle than the older ones, but they all have some minor wiggle.

This May. A "minor wiggle" is a good description - I'm just a perfectionist.

I had the same issue with one a few years back. I even emailed ACE about it but they where pretty slow in their response and really did not offer to fix it.. What I ended up doing was putting layer or 2 of black duct tape cut very thin (black so you can not see it when the stock is folded) on the inside of the hinge to act as a shim. It worked very well to take out the wobble. I do not have the SGL20 or the stock anymore but I do not remember ever replacing the tape.

I'll experiment with that next time I have the folder mounted. Why have a good enough rifle when you can make it perfect?