New Member...New 5.45

I have been shooting AK's in 7.62x39 for a long time, and have even built a couple. I have been interested in the 5.45 round, and the cheap prices I see it, so I resolved to get one.

I sold a couple excess handguns, so I had the cash for both a rifle and a case of ammo...started researching.

I thought about one of the century guns, but I wasn't into the century keyhole lottery, plus a chrome lined barrel makes a lot of sense.

Decided to get an IZ-240. I went to a local gun show. The only Saiga 5.45's in the show were at one dealer, and he only had two. He was writing one up for sale when I found him. Another customer was giving the remianing rifle a very close look.

As soon as he set it down and started to walk, I picked it up...gave it a quick look, and told the dealer "sold!"

I cleaned it and lubed it with WeaponShield, my lube of choice, and took it to the range last week.

Shot my first mag at 25 yards...nice group of tiny round holes.

Moved to the 100yd bench, and tried again...the group was again nice and small, with round holes....However, with the rear sight on 1, and a center bull hold, the group was about 6 inches high, and 6 inches right. Unfortunately, I didn't have my sight adjust tool.

The group in the picture was fired using hold off, and could have been much better.

fired about 80rds with perfect functioning.

I am torn as to convert this rifle...I kind of like the standard stock.....But, my case of ammo is in route right now.

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

I just finished the conversion on my 7.62 last night. And today I got to fire my 5.45 for the first time. I was only able to put 20 rounds through it mostly to test for function before converting it. I also was checking for any key-holing problems because my serial number is in the same range as another members rifle that has an extreme key-holing problem. His seems to be an isolated incident and mine was perfect so I am a happy camper. It is more accurate than my 7.62.

Hands down, I used Mississippi Auto Arms for my parts to convert my 5.45 and I think they give you the most flexibility and decent choices to make a great budget conversion. Roughly, parts for a conversion (no hand guard) + rifle+ mags+ fees + shipping should cost around $550-$600ish. Compare that to hiring someone to convert a rifle for you and you would come up saving about $200... enough for almost 2 span cans of ammo. The savings are more than enough incentive to convert on your own.

Good luck with converting!