I just saw an Arsonal go for $450 on Gunbroker.

Either used or the seller was an idiot. Arsenals (if you are talking about Arsenals from L.V.) are merely "restored" Saigas. You can get nearly exactly what Arsenal builds for 600$ max and a few simple hand tools. However, Arsenals are a high quality build of the Saiga that you can get without any work.

Either used or the seller was an idiot. Arsenals (if you are talking about Arsenals from L.V.) are merely "restored" Saigas. You can get nearly exactly what Arsenal builds for 600$ max and a few simple hand tools. However, Arsenals are a high quality build of the Saiga that you can get without any work.

I have an Arsenal SGL21-61 AK. It is a really nice, almost authentic AK, or as close as you can get here in the US. The workmanship is superb, you can't even tell it was "unsporterized" and restored back to true AK form by Arsenal. The groupings on it are really accurate. The fit, feel and finish are something that I would have a hard time replicating. It is in such pristine condition I have a hard time bringing myself to shoot it, I plink around with my Yugo instead.

Just my 2 cents.

post-32211-0-80809400-1309714779_thumb.jpg

Edited by armory

I have an Arsenal SGL21-61 AK. It is a really nice, almost authentic AK, or as close as you can get here in the US. The workmanship is superb, you can't even tell it was "unsporterized" and restored back to true AK form by Arsenal. The groupings on it are really accurate. The fit, feel and finish are something that I would have a hard time replicating. It is in such pristine condition I have a hard time bringing myself to shoot it, I plink around with my Yugo instead.

Just my 2 cents.

i was in that same place just three months ago.alot of my friends to me to buy a saiga and get it converted .but by the time you pay a gunsmith to do all the work it costs the same as a arsenal straight out of the box.the only reason i bought a arsenal they laser sight there rifle on sight and when you buy one they send you the actual target they used.i'm debating on getting a 545 or a 223 but if i buy one i'm going to convert it myself and take my time and i hope i do it right.

i was in that same place just three months ago.alot of my friends to me to buy a saiga and get it converted .but by the time you pay a gunsmith to do all the work it costs the same as a arsenal straight out of the box.the only reason i bought a arsenal they laser sight there rifle on sight and when you buy one they send you the actual target they used.i'm debating on getting a 545 or a 223 but if i buy one i'm going to convert it myself and take my time and i hope i do it right.

You don't have to pay a gunsmith, you just do it yourself. It is about 100-200 dollars cheaper that way, and you gain amazing knowledge of the platform that you wouldn't get otherwise, let alone pride and confidence. :)

If you are on a budget, and want to do the converting yourself, make sure you have a plan. The only plan I had with mine was to slap a T6 stock w/pistol grip on it. Then I started slow and did my pg conversion, then threaded my barrel, then my bullet guide. I probably have 750 into the rifle all together with parts and a couple mags. I would reccomend that if this is your path, do a good bit of research ahead of buying the rifle. Then when its in your hands, your knowledge will fall right into place, and the conversion will start to make sense.

Figure out the buttstock, pistol grip and trigger group you want. Get a us made mag or two and once done with the pistol grip conversion you can shoot as much as you want. Then you will need another us part, such as a handguard, get your bullet guide and then you can sell your us made mags for some foriegn steel ones. Make sure all the other parts you get are made in the US and rock on. You can do everything in stages and keep each new project pretty cheap that way.

Obviously, there is a tiny bit more to it than that, but not much. I can tell you first hand, when you do it yourself, You gain a sense of accomplishment that is unmatched. If you are not rich it will require some patience, but your saiga will out live you by many years so theres nothing to worry about.

If you are impatient, get the arsenal, they are the best ak out there for the money. Either way you really cant lose.

Edited by Boomsick42

Either used or the seller was an idiot. Arsenals (if you are talking about Arsenals from L.V.) are merely "restored" Saigas. You can get nearly exactly what Arsenal builds for 600$ max and a few simple hand tools...

Uh, no. There's more differences between the receiver of a "sporter" IZ-132 and that of say, a SGL-21, (no extra import markings, no sporter fcg holes, correct lower detent for the saftety, etc). ;)

Heh.. it really is all in the timing. I'd buy a SGL-21 at today's prices if I didn't yet have a Saiga 7.62x39, but I bought mine in fall '09.. for ~$505 apiece. :smoke: