I'm going to be up there this weekend seeing a girlfriend from back in the day, and she wants to go shoot some guns. I figured i'd bring an ak and a pistol to let her try out. I'm really looking for a free spot, but if you've got suggestions on a decent range that's cool too.

So I can shoot guns in the state park? I assume there's a range, or can you just roll out into the woods? Does knob creek do machine gun rentals?

Most state parks have a range, Open Range has full auto rentals but there are a in door range 100 yards, a little pricey not sure about k/c don't go there anymore, i shoot at private ranges

There is also a place in Sparta about 40 minutes Northeast of Louisville called Randy's Range. You can check them out at randysrange.com

Small place, reasonable rates, and a very nice guy. Otherwise, your best bet is Knob Creek for an outdoor range.

Knob Creek is pretty nice but their ROs are Nazis. That is probably the biggest reason why i don;t go there anymore. I've heard a lot of good thing about Bluegrass range in lousiville. Its an indoor range so the ak might be out of the question. Most people around here usually just shoot on private land.

Henryville forestry has a free range. It's small but it's Close to Louisville on the Indiana side. Only about 1/2 hour north. Never seen a RO there. But there is an old guy that picks up brass and loves to talk.

Edited by dayofruin

So it was hotter than hell on monday, and I didn't feel like going outside to shoot, so we went to an indoor range called Bluegrass, which was actually really close to where I was staying. When we got there, a sign on the door read "Air conditioner stolen." I was fucking pissed, but we were going to shoot anyway. This was my first time at an indoor range, and her first time to shoot ever, so I had to feel it out, but it was alright, aside from the heat. She did fucking phenomenal for her first time. At first, she was a bit apprehensive about it, but once she figured out that the Glock wasn't going to hurt her as long as it was pointed away from her, she loosened up. The last mag she ran through, she put all 17 rounds in a 6" group, high left of where she was aiming, but still had good consistency, and they were all center of mass shots. I think it was more than respectable.