SGM Tactical Tri-Rail forend

MAA lists this forend (SSGMTFR) as being compatible with the .308 as well as the x39's and the .223. Has anyone found this to be true for the .308? There are a couple of reviews (by the same guy) on the MAA site that report problems getting one to fit a .308.

I have an early one on my short barreled 7.62x39. Fits that rifle about perfect. I could take it off and try it on the .308, but that wouldn't tell me anything about current production.

Have you considered Carolina Shooter's Supply tri-rail? I got mine last month and it's fits perfectly on my .308 and is very tight on the gun. Make sure to select the option for the .308 if you order it.

I haven't. I'll take a look. Thanks.

post-34048-0-24581500-1310622760_thumb.jpg

The SGM is awesome on the .308.! I have the quadrail on my Saiga .308 and it fits perfectly. Holds my Vortex red dot and it stays zeroed. While I like the look of aluminum rails, they tend to bite hands, snag cloths, ... and who wants to screw with rail covers - the SGM never bites your hands. Also all aluminum rails get scratched - I have the UTG on a Yugo 70AB2 and another on a AMD-65. In addition, aluminum quad rails seem heavier, by how much varies. The only thing I would change about the SGM rails is I would like them to be a little longer. You can see I have the Magpul AFG and it does not leave room for a rail attached bipod. My plan is to modify the AGP to give me the 1/4" of rail I need for the bi-pod. Also what I like is that you can still use your mechanical sights and the Saiga gas tube does not need to be changed. I highly recommend the SGM in tri rail or quad configuration.

Are you able to use the iron sights with the top rail on the set-up. I run the tri-rail, and like it. I picked mine up for $45 and that is about all I would spend. Much better than the tapco, but if you are going to pay full retail I would save and get the DPH or similar rail system. The SGM is heavier than the stock handguard, enough so that the diff/ between the aluminum rails and the SGM is negligible. All in all though I really like mine. Simple, tough, and was cheap.

With the SGM quadrail, yes you can still use your iron sights. I loved the SGM quadrail, but as I am wanting to use a Magpul AGP and a Harris or clone Bi-Pod, the lower rail is not long enough, so I just this morning changed it to a Tapco and a completely different sight system (scout) rail.