Wow...joined Dec 16th 2007...and my first post

So, as thread title says, I joined a LONG time ago. I have not been in a position to purchase a S12 until recently and then I realized...too late, prices here were double what they were a year ago. I had pretty much given up on the idea and then this week I scored a NIB S12 out the door for $600 and a used (clean) 410 with extra mag for $250. The problem is, I forget just about all the info I had collected years ago to get these guys rolling. I've got a buddy here with a range (and a Tromix, which I am pretty interested to check out) and I am heading over there tomorrow.

In the range bag for the 12 I have Rem 2 3/4 00bk, Federal Premium 2 3/4 00bk, Rem 2 3/4 1oz sluggers, and Win 2 3/4 "universal" 8 shot. I didnt think the stock saiga would cycle the 8 shot, but my buddy thinks it will (probably because he runs a tromix...). Questions: Will it cycle the val pack crap and am I good to go with the slugs or do I need to worry about chokes?

For the 410, all wally world had was Win "Super Speed" and Rem Game loads: both 2.5", 1/2oz, 6 shot. Will these run in the gun or do I have to look for the (crazy priced) 410 buck rounds?

Anything else (other than a good once over/bolt operation/trigger click and wipe down) that I should do to prep these to pop tomorrow? I was annoy4ed to find that the wrapping was "toxic" after I had just handed it to my wife who was going up to feed my one-month old :P

I am excited to convert these guns myself and will be digging in here shortly. Glad to finally be able to post something :P

Edited by jujutsuka

Really, it is your first and second post. Every time you edit, the post count that is shown for that post is higher. I couldn't resist busting your balls. Welcome aboard!

You will be extremely lucky if your S12 runs like your fiend's Tromix. Yours will probably need some work to cycle the weak stuff, but it can be done, of course. Tons of info here, so dig in. You might also take a good look at the ports, bolt, bolt carrier, and feedramp of the Tromix S12.

Don't get all bogged down with chokes and other choices like that. I like to convert, do some reliability mods and test fire, if all is good, then I refinish. If not, I do a little more and repeat the testing process. I use Winchester Universal as my baseline testing ammo. It takes some effort and time, but it is certainly worth it when I can fire 400 rounds in one session for just under $100 :smoke:

Edited by evlblkwpnz

if it will cycle walmart bulk packs it will cycle federal.. That's the best bet. The other two are much less likely to work out. You should be fine to shoot all ammo if you have no chokes, if you get the polychoke or a choke attatchment just make sure its set for slugs before you damage it.

edit: and editting doesn't raise your post count- he posted in the south carolina section

Edited by volkov

what i did when i first got my S12 was to buy a box each (25 shells per box) of:

(1) solid slugs

(2) double "O" buck

(3) #4 buckshot

(4) #7 birdshot

(5) #8 birdshot.

bought one box each from all brands available here in our place (turns out there's not much choices anyway). i started shooting the slugs first at setting 1. they cycled just fine. no FTF' or FTE's. then moved on to double "O" bucks on setting 1. and so forth. used setting 2 for the #4 buck and all birdshots. i consider myself lucky coz my gun cycles the weakest shells i can buy even without polishing of the bolt and carrier at setting 2.

try all the ammo you think you'd be using on your weapon. find the cheapest/weakest shells you might be using and try it. this will give you an idea of how much work you need to improve your gas system. for me its the learning part that's half the fun.

or you can just contact the experts here on gas system improvement, bolt/carrier polishing, buy aftermarket parts and be off with it. but where's the fun in that.

• Like 1