Trunnion Pics prior to MSA conversion anyone?

Trunnion Pics prior to MSA conversion anyone?

Does anyone have pictures of the Saiga 223 front trunnion prior to the cuts made for the MSA adapter?

More of a curiosity for comparison, want to see approximately the amount of material that needs to be cut away.

Thanks in advance.

TRguy

Ok all done. 4.5-5 hours using Dremel tool.

Sorry the pictures aren't any better all I could find was the phone.

Second adapter I've put in by hand.

Thank you to MSA for making these wonderful adapters.

Nice pics, but it is not really obvious to me how the rifle you showed in the picture differs from my own rifle which has not been similarly modded. I wish someone would make a video about this process; I find the official directions to be way too vague. But maybe I'm just dense.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Those pics are before. I can post up the after here in a bit.

Edit: Here they are. Once again sorry all I could get was cell phone pics.

These are of the same gun(belonging to my friend).

post-20983-0-78882100-1311529752_thumb.jpg

post-20983-0-72508600-1311529768_thumb.jpg

post-20983-0-19744900-1311532152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Datastick

Its really tricky to get a good pictures of the trunnion. Your before pictures actually turned out pretty well. Heres my dremel work on my adapter. Took a long time to get it perfect but when I do this a second time it will definitly be quicker and cleaner.

As far as width goes I just started cutting that little stepped ledge thats on there untill its flush with the rivet. I think it was .96" I think.

Then I just measured doen with a depth gauge to .89" and used blue masking tape to mask off a line (point of no return!) to the said depth and slowely started making a ledge just above the taped line. Once that is done and is flush with the rivet I wrapped the blue tape around the trunnion and did a test fit. If it doesnt go in right away put a little pressure on the adapter so the the contact points will show on the blue tape. Then just little by little start cutting away at the contact points (mainly just working on the corners to square off the trunnion). I didnt realize the squaring the trunnion was so critical so I removed a little to much before I realized it was just the corner that needed to be worked on. But I found what helped me the most was the painters tape. Oh and be carefull of thousands of tiny metal shards the seem to imbed themselves in your hands while doing this mod. I was picking those SOB's out of my fingers for 3 days. I need gloves.

post-27610-0-05289300-1311537901_thumb.jpg

EDITED for grammer.

Edited by foreign firearm fiend

Thanks for the info. MSA Adapter should be here any day so this info comes at the perfect time. I'd hate to make it through the conversion (actually easier than I thought) only to f it up on the adapter.

Just make sure you use the correct bits and a high speed dremel. I used the 1/8" carbide dremel bits (recomended by Cobra) which work so well especially well. They hardly generate any heat and they are very controllable. I sprayed rem-oil periodically to keep the heat down.