Just got my saiga woohoo

After watching the price drop from 800 to as low as 640 on line I stopped into a local gunshop and picked one up for 675. Took it out to the skeet range and ran 25 rounds through it. No misfilres only 2 failures to cycle which I think were related to not seating the round properly ( was restricted to putting two rounds at a time in the magazine because of range rules). I was really suprised at the accuracy and relatively low kick, but I have never shot a semi auto before. I understand they absorb some of the kick. Man do I love that gun. Already ordering a larger magazine and parts to keep it 922r compliant with that. Will probably send it out to Carolina shooters to convert when I get to the point where I can bare to be without it for a few weeks. Very happy to get it local, and that it was not a vodka special.

I dont understand how the choke in it is supposed to work at all since it threads on the outside of the barrell, Also no markings on what came with my gun, so wondering how to tell what it is. Have some issues inserting the magazine sometimes. No problems at all when its empty but the shells bump up against the bolt when it has shells in it. Quick fix was to pull the bolt back when inserting the magazine. Anyone else see this?

Thanks to all for the excellent advice both directly to me in my posts and in general on the forum. I will be searching for recommendations on upgrades on mags in previous postson this site.

Difficulty loading on a closed bolt is well known. I suggest you get your bolt and carrier and trigger group reprofiled/polished by one of the many capable vendors here. It will help with cycling and loading on a closed bolt. There are chokes that are sold that use the external threads, but I recommend a polychoke or a remchoke adapter made by cobras customs. Are you mistaking the thread protector for a choke? Congrats on your new gun, your lucky its not a vodka special.

Are you mistaking the thread protector for a choke?

Probably so , thanks for the clarification, old eyes can't read those tiney schematics so well.

your welcome, and welcome to the addiction!

Edited by yooper14.5

Welcome and congrats!

Read up and consider doing the conversion yourself vs paying for it. It's surprisingly easy if you use one of the bolt-on trigger guards with a built-in nut, though cutting a proper PG hole isn't much more effort.