Saiga conversion stock/grip

Hey guys aint been here in a while.

Anyways I traded and got a saiga 308 yesterday. I have 2 questions.

#1. It has not had a trigger job done yet the pistolgrip and stock are one piece and it screws into the rear trunion. Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of setup? If so how did it work out?

#2 saiga 308 mags are expensive!

Does anyone know if theres an aftermarket kit to accept fal mags or anything else thats cheaper?

Thanks for any help.

1# I know several people that have used that setup. Generally speaking the trigger is awkward, and its questionable whether it meets 922r for sporting purpose.. And if your in CA as your user name indicates you need to have a mag lock and use 10 round magazines while in your state. My understanding is that if someone was to use a mag lock, they also must use 10 round mags, not 10/20s or otherwise blocked magazines.

Our 10 round mags are $40 a unit, compared with $25 a unit for 10rd FAL magazines.. So we are talking a $15 a unit difference.

I doubt anyone is going to sell a mag conversion for less then $100. You can buy 6 saiga magazines and still be ahead

http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-3/Saiga-.308-10rd/Detail.bok

It's a lazy waste of money, if you can't be bothered to convert it the standard stock is FAR more comfortable. The OEM skeleton stock is one of the nicest and most comfortable stocks I've ever used and excellent even compared against a conversion... With one exception, the 308's trigger is useless as it comes and the gun really is the most desperate in need of a conversion of the whole saiga family. Luckily, it's also the easiest to convert since it's a drop-in parts affair after you break the plate off the bottom of the receiver. Just do it, trust me, these guns are worth their weight in gold once converted as there's not much else out there that's comparable for under $1500. That plate can take a little bit of time to get off, but it doesn't require much in the way of tools or know how to do it, just a dremel/grinder to weaken the spot welds then a screw driver and a hammer to pop it off.

#2 see above, it'll cost more to buy cheaper magazines and convert it to accept them than it will to buy CSSpecs. Unless you have about 30 magazines laying around.

AFAIK the FAL magazines won't work, the M1A mags are what I hear about most often. The conversion to use them requires removing too much metal to be considered safe by most in the know.

Edited by Tombs

Awesome guys thanks. It came this way I didnt do this ive built 7 ak's from parts kits so I definitely want it comfrorable. Also can someone send me a link to where I can get a coon conversion kit? Remember we can have folding stocks here in cali hecka gay I know. And ill just stick with the saiga mags.

And I just finished up the Saiga restore and it's actually very easy. All you need is a dremel, a drill, screw drivers, a socket set (to put on pistol grip) and one helluva lot a patience if you're going to reuse the BHO.

Yea it's gotta be atleast 30". I've got the 22" barrel so I'm good I think.

It's cause the hammer has the spring on it so theres tension moving the hammer around and on top of that you have to stick the pin through the hammer, and the BHO plate which is a pain cause it's moving everywhere because of the spring tension. And then you have to wrap the right side of the spring arm (from back of stock) around the BHO plate. My advice is wear gloves, that hammer is sharper then you'd think and put a drill bit through the right side front pin hole to keep the BHO place in place then push it out with the hammer pin.