Could someone give a good description of how to install an MSA adapter

Just what the topic says,

oh and pictures would be really nice

And could it be done with a small hand file? i'm really not comfortable useing a dremel for this application and i dont care if it takes me three for four days

And what's the situation with these things and bullet guides, will they work only with or only without, or work either way?

Edited by Joebanks

Ditto.

Got my mag adapter today and I can't wait to get it in there (insert bad joke here). so I'm in the same boat trying to read everything I can before I fire up the dremmel. I think I watched every conversion video I could before I tried it myself, but that went really well. I just don't want to mess it up now. In looking around I saw this site which had some good pics: http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/magadapter/magadapter-1.htm.

Also, did you get the instructions from MSA? If not you can email him and he'll send them out. They recommend having a gunsmith put it in, but I look at my saiga as a hobby so I'd like to try it myself.

And from what I've read you don't need a bullet guide. I'd love to see a youtube video on this

On a side note, even though it's not in yet, the adapter looks well made and MSA was pretty good with turn around time and emails.

I posted this on another similar thread and instead of typing it again I just copied and paste.

"As far as width goes I just started cutting that little stepped ledge thats on there untill its flush with the rivet. I think it was .96" I think.

Then I just measured doen with a depth gauge to .89" and used blue masking tape to mask off a line (point of no return!) to the said depth and slowely started making a ledge just above the taped line. Once that is done and is flush with the rivet I wrapped the blue tape around the trunnion and did a test fit. If it doesnt go in right away put a little pressure on the adapter so the the contact points will show on the blue tape. Then just little by little start cutting away at the contact points (mainly just working on the corners to square off the trunnion). I didnt realize the squaring the trunnion was so critical so I removed a little to much before I realized it was just the corner that needed to be worked on. But I found what helped me the most was the painters tape. Oh and be carefull of thousands of tiny metal shards the seem to imbed themselves in your hands while doing this mod. I was picking those SOB's out of my fingers for 3 days. I need gloves"---End quote

The trunnion must be square, or as close to it as possible. I used 1/8" Carbide cutter bits in my dremel and they work very well. They are easy to control and cut very quickly with very little heat. Just dont let it get to hot. If its too hot to touch than you need to let it cool. I used rem-oil (all i had) for cutting oil and it worked well and kept the temp down. The whole process took about 6 hours. If I would have realized that squaring the trunnion was so critical than it would have been about 3.5 hours.

When I finally got the adapter to seat correctly I test fitted to find out I have some high spots on the little nubs that were not allowing the mag to rise high enough to lock in. So I filed a little more (around .9-.905" overall depth) and the P=mag snapped right into place. Loaded a mag and hand cycled 30 rounds as fast as I could and it cycled perfectly (dont kill me for not using dummy rounds). I also have a lancer AR mag with metal feed lips that I acutally had to file just a hair more, very little though. Overall the job with a dremel isnt too bad, but if I were to do it again it would have turned out a lot better.

Heres a pic of the final product. Its not the best picture but you can see where I had to cut.

post-27610-0-36055300-1312074509_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...