Hey guys looking into shooting BP Revolvers... I notice the two most prevalent manufacturers are Uberti and Pietta... any significant difference beet the the fit finish and overall quality of the two... I live in Connecticut and there aint to many fun store around, let alone ones that would stock these. Would prefer to do a side by side comparison of the two but its not possible. This will be my first one, thinking of buying either an 1860 Army or an 1861 Navy.

Looking for you thoughts, advice or general knowledge.

(Mods feel free to move, but the Other Firearms Section gets pretty much negative traffic.)

Thank you.

yeah I forgot about Cabelas... even if they dont have em' its still worth a trip up. Haha if you didnt like Hoffmans you must have never been to Scott Moss' Forest and Field. Fairfield County just sucks in this department. Maybe I should get my FFL

Edited by 86camaro

Take a look at Civil War re-enactor sites like Blockade Runner and others, lots of cap and ball revolvers available. Also, Cowboy Action Shooting sites will have some as well, though they lean towards the BP cartridge weapons.

If you want something you can do totally on your own, you want cap and ball; the cartridge guns take rare and expensive ammunition unless you can make it yourself. In a communist occupied state, getting the black powder can be its own hassle, so make sure you have a ready source of FFF powder and lead, and have your own mold; maybe you can buy manufactured stuff, maybe not.

It isn't an easy or quick thing to load and fire a cap and ball revolver, so you need to spend some time getting good at it

OK well I took the plunge.... cabelas had a pietta single action army on sale for 190. Christmas came early. Gonna wait a lil while to buy powder ballsand primers. Easy enough to find online...

Any suggestion on what to use as a lube? Looks like the cowboy shooter like canola oil and paraffin wax

Sorry for typos fat fingers little phone.

If you got the steel frame you can convert it to Black Powder 45 Long Colt with a conversion cylinder from Howell's Old West (MidwayUSA Item # 857132).

857132.jpg

It's not cheap, but combined it is still cheaper than some SAA copies or a new Vaquero.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

yeah i made sure to get a steel frame... im still waiting for my pistol permit to be processed and once i've got it im gonna buy the conversion cylinder. CT state laws requirs a permit for any handgun that fires a modern or readily available centerfire or rimfire cartridge. but cap and ball you can own anything as long as its pre 1898 design.

awsome fuckin loophole :super: