Barrel Defect?

That looks like the rear hole drilled for the FSB to be dimpled onto. Probably another under it to. Did you have a gunsmith put a new FSB on to it? More info on the guns history will tell the rest of the story.

Edited by Datastick

I purchased it this way, but yes it was converted by a smith. So I take it that is where the original sight block was located?

yes, the original FSB is much longer than the romanian block you have. it covered area from behind that dimple to the end of the barrel, over the threading.

if those are factory threads and not by the gunsmith, you should look into the older threads about factory threaded barrels. you may have one of the older akm 47 military barrels over the civilian barrel. same barrels, just different features.

Can anyone verify if that Romanian FSB is a direct fitment or replacement for Saiga rifles? I know the pins are different, but is there anything else required to fit the Romanian block?

As long as it is an AK-74 FSB, it should work just fine.

ETA: http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/74fsb.html

Edited by stnls1911

i think jb weld could work. i am not to sure the temp levels it withstands though. solder would be a good alternative too.

after you fill the holes, if you dont want to go with a refinshing job, you can use "Dupli Color Engine Enamel DE 1634 Low Gloss Black". Its one of the closest matching spray paints that can withstand the temps.