Receiver Checkering on New Saiga?

Hello,

I picked up a new IZ 132 last week for my first conversion. The receiver includes stippling or checkering on its right side.

post-35929-0-41840800-1314409762_thumb.jpg

This doesn't appear to be an adhesive and I think it is covering a previous importer marking. It has another importer marking on its opposite side. The rifle has a 2009 manufacture date.

I've seen this addressed on this board before but I couldn't locate the thread through a search. Any thoughts on how to remove this? Or is this something I should complain about?

My friend likes the stippling on his. He says that he uses it to file on some of his ammo to expose the hollow tip.

Not sure how well it works accuracy wise, but I tried the jerky he made from his last trip out with it... very good stuff.

The stippling is purely cosmetic, fill it in or keep it, just a personal choice.

Welcome to the form.

Both of my rifles have it. The importer was Rusian American Armory I think then they took that off by stippling it :(. I wonder how do you fill that ugly eye sore up? flux weld?

I talked to the distributor today and they said that all recently-imported Saigas, including the new half-converted Saigas, have the stippling (hash marks). If this is true then hopefully someone will soon devise a good way to fill, sand, and repaint the stippling.

Devcon. Toughest shit around. It is a steel putty, and bonds to CLEAN metal. I once repaired the exhaust manifold on a diesel sub engine with that shit.

I don't mind the marks, but check the guns carefully as some may have been factory returns.Nothing new, look at the wife's S-.410.post-526-0-32652200-1314711766_thumb.jpg