Guy on ARF posted this link below...giving credit where credit is due. Just saw a video about the new SSAK stock that is going to be available by the end of the year. Best part is MSRP for the AK stock is $289, which is less than the AR-15 version.

The info about the improved SSAR-15 is the third video and they talk about the AK stock as well.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/07/22/shoot-your-ar-15-faster-than-ever-with-a-slide-fire-stock/

Mike D. could probably comment on the expense of glass-filled nylon fabrication.

Succinctly, the startup cost is very high, and the per-unit cost of production is relatively low. Most of the price of these stocks is probably R&D for future products, if not take-home profit for the owner(s) - you're not paying for a slide-fire stock so much as you're paying for the company to develop new slide fire stocks for other firearms.

There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm certainly not criticizing the company for it - I'm just not inclined to participate until I can purchase it for substantially less.

Case in point would be Mike D.'s drums. Fantastic product that I absolutely love - and Mike is a stand-up guy. But I was never willing to spend a few hundred dollars for a single drum magazine. Instead, I waited until they came down in price, and bought a total of about a dozen at the $100(if I recall correctly) and $80 price points.

You often pay extra to be an early adopter. I'm patient. If nothing else, they stay the same price for a while, eventually the market's demand will be suitably fulfilled. Once that happens, used stocks will be worth less, and will occasionally turn up on the cheap. That'll be the time to grab one.