Do I have to use a 74 FSB?

Im not partial to the 24mm threads on the ak 74 FSBs being sold. Do they all have these or is there an altenative? Can I use a ak 47 fsb that is open on the end, with no threads, as to use the threads on my barrel and the plunger pin on the FSB together?

On the 47 style sight blocks Ive seen, the retaining pins are on the top of the barrel, as opposed to the 74 which are on the bottom. Is it ok to just drill out the pin holes on the top to install it. I have no problem buying a bulgy gas block, but I just dont like the big threaded end I see on every 74 style sight block I look at.

What are my options?

I have already cut the shroud back and have a FH installed on my rifle. Ive had no problems and its solid as rock. I am thinking of replacing the gas block and FSB so I can have a cleaning rod and a bayo lug, for a complete restoration. I have done a good bit of searching, and the only 74 FSBs I have found, have the threads on the end.

Im wondering if the barrel diameter on the 74 is the same as on the 47, so I can use a 47 sight block. And really, All I want is an FSB with no threads and a bayo lug

i'll let ya know in about a week. i have a 47 fsb coming for my 2nd saiga conversion...trying to save some money. from what i can tell the saiga barrel is .571 dia and the 47 is listed at soemthing like .576-7-8- so we'll see how it plays out.

Thats awesome man, Let me know what you come up with. If all goes well, I will do the same. Im very interested to know.